* Unpleasant catch 22
@ 2020-09-23 23:03 Harry
From: Harry @ 2020-09-23 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I get an error when starting gnus and after it begins mail/news scan
... it ends in Authorization Rejected.   So apparently a password not
working for on reason or another.  However there is no indication of
which password.  So normally I would start gnus and look in the server
buffer.  However starting gnus results in news scan and the same
Authorization message... Gnus never finishes its startup.

OK, I thought, I'll start` gnus-no-server' but I'll be darned if that
doesn't go to a news scan too. ( Why would there be a scan if there
are no servers?)

(And by the way gnus is running with `debug on error' and `debug on
quit' engaged)

At least the ending  during `gnus-no-server' startup is not about
Authorization but appearantly,  after a very lengthy (more than 15
minutes) I finally hit Ctrl-g.  No Backtrace is generated it simiply
says `quit'

I guess a couple of things are raised with this behavior but can
someone at least tell me how to get a gnus interface without any
news/mail scanning so I can do other chks?