From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: problem with notmuch search in recent emacs snapshots
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 10:59:53 -0800	[thread overview]

> On Saturday, 17 Nov 2018 at 10:44, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>> [...]
>>
>>> Adding a space before "(" on line 1547 of nnir.el might fix this?
>>> Untested.
>>
>> Yes! Sorry -- I added the parentheses in afterwards, and the space
>> that's currently in front of " path:%s" should have been moved before
>> the parenthesis. I'm surprised the other tester didn't run into this.
>> Would you be willing to move the space and give it a test?
>
> I've tested but no luck.  There's more to this than the ()s.
>
> Maybe I have not set something correctly but notmuch seems to expect
> search terms like "path:mail/misc" and not "path:mail.misc".  I'm using
> nnml.  Maybe maildir works differently; not sure what you have tested
> this on.

Yeah, maybe I should have left this off by default. You can get the
correct result by adding a filter function to
`nnir-notmuch-filter-group-names-function' -- the docstring of that
variable shows how to do it.

But all this requires users to know in advance that things have changed,
and to be willing to figure out how to adjust for their setup, and
that's not quite reasonable.

I think what I'll do is hard-code the `gnus-group-short-name' filter
into the body of the function (using fully qualified names will never be
correct), then default `nnir-notmuch-filter-group-names-function' to
nil, so behavior goes back to what it was, and then let user who are
willing to look into the issue set their own filters.

Sorry about that,
Eric