* Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
@ 2017-10-15 21:22 Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (13 more replies)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-10-15 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm trying to figure out how all the variables that hold Gnus' servers
actually work. `gnus-server-alist' looks like it's meant to be a fairly
authoritative list, but in my case it has never held anything but the
archive server.

If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
server?

It looks like `gnus-server-method-cache' ends up actually holding the
information that would also have gone in `gnus-server-alist'.

Anyway, I hope some of you will humor me!

Eric

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
@ 2017-10-16  5:57 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (12 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-10-16  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sunday, 15 Oct 2017 at 23:22, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
> server?

Mine does have more information but it is out of date (by quite a few
years) and does not match my current server configuration in any way.

--
: Eric S Fraga
: in Emacs 27.0.50 + Gnus v5.13 + evil-git-b6ed94c

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
@ 2017-10-16  7:06 ` Robert Pluim
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Pluim @ 2017-10-16  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'm trying to figure out how all the variables that hold Gnus' servers
> actually work. `gnus-server-alist' looks like it's meant to be a fairly
> authoritative list, but in my case it has never held anything but the
> archive server.
>
> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
> server?

Mine holds only the archive server.

> It looks like `gnus-server-method-cache' ends up actually holding the
> information that would also have gone in `gnus-server-alist'.

I see the same thing.

Robert

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
@ 2017-10-16  7:34 ` Julien Danjou
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Julien Danjou @ 2017-10-16  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

On Sun, Oct 15 2017, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
> server?

Nop, just the archive server.

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-16 12:49 ` Dan Christensen
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Christensen @ 2017-10-16 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Mine has:

gnus-server-alist is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
Its value is (("" nnfolder "")
 ("news.gmane.org" nntp "news.gmane.org"))

I believe both are valid servers that I use.

Dan

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-16 13:12 ` Dave Marquardt
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Marquardt @ 2017-10-16 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

Mine has all of my servers in it. I connect to 4 servers plus the
archive "server". For IMAP and NNTP servers, it shows the server,
port, and some other connection information,
i.e. nntp-open-connection-function for an NNTP server.

-----------------------
On Sun, Oct 15 2017, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how all the variables that hold Gnus' servers
actually work. `gnus-server-alist' looks like it's meant to be a fairly
authoritative list, but in my case it has never held anything but the
archive server.

If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
server?

It looks like `gnus-server-method-cache' ends up actually holding the
information that would also have gone in `gnus-server-alist'.

Anyway, I hope some of you will humor me!

Eric

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-16 14:10 ` Peter Davis
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Davis @ 2017-10-16 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, ding

Mine just has:

gnus-server-alist is a variable defined in ‘gnus.el’.
Its value is (("archive" nnfolder "archive"
  (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))

though, in fact, I get my mail from an external IMAP server. That seems
to be getting defined in gnus-select-method in my .gnus.el

-pd

--
  Peter Davis
  www.techcurmudgeon.com

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-16 14:17 ` Adam Sjøgren
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-10-16 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric writes:

> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
> server?

Mine contains:

,----[ C-h v gnus-server-alist RET ]

`----

> It looks like `gnus-server-method-cache' ends up actually holding the
> information that would also have gone in `gnus-server-alist'.

I've got:

,----[ C-h v gnus-server-method-cache RET ]
| gnus-server-method-cache is a variable defined in ‘gnus.el’.
| Its value is shown below.
|
| Documentation:
| Not documented as a variable.
|
| Value:
| (("nndraft" nndraft #1="")
|  ("nnml" . #2=(nnml #1#
|                      (nnir-search-engine notmuch)))
|  ("native" nnnil)
|  ("nnml:" . #2#)
|  ("nntp:gm" nntp "gm"
|   (nntp-address "news.gmane.org"))
|  ("nntp:fb" nntp "fb"
|   (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-tls-stream)
|   (nntp-port-number 563)
|   (nntp-address "feedbase.org"))
|  ("archive" nnml "archive"
|   (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
|   (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
|   (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
|   (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
`----

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Mein Kopf tut weh mach die Augen zu"                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-16 14:29 ` Norman Walsh
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Norman Walsh @ 2017-10-16 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Anyway, I hope some of you will humor me!

I’ve got:

gnus-server-alist
(("archive" nnml "") ("" nnmbox "") ("nntp.charter.net" nntp "nntp.charter.net"))

gnus-server-method-cache
(("nnml:" nnml "") ("nndraft" nndraft "") ("native" nnml "") ("nndiary" nndiary "") ("archive" nnml ""))

That nntp address is probably a decade out of date. OTOH, I probably
haven’t tried to use Usenet since that used to work, so…

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The stone fell on the pitcher? Woe to
http://nwalsh.com/            | the pitcher. The pitcher fell on the
                              | stone? Woe to the pitcher.--Rabbinic
                              | Saying

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
@ 2017-10-16 15:39   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-10-16 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Sunday, 15 Oct 2017 at 23:22, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
>> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
>> server?
>
> Mine does have more information but it is out of date (by quite a few
> years) and does not match my current server configuration in any way.

Do you see these servers in the *Server* buffer?

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
@ 2017-10-16 15:45   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-10-16 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Thanks to you all! That was enough information to solve the mystery:
gnus-server-alist holds servers automatically created by Gnus, *plus*
the servers that you've created using "a" in the *Server* buffer. Not
the servers you've defined in your gnus.el.

Which makes sense: gnus-server-alist is kept in newsrc.eld, and takes
care of saving servers that you've created through the Gnus interface.
It doesn't touch servers you've defined yourself using
select-method/secondary-select-methods in gnus.el.

This is important as I look at turning servers into actual class
objects.

More docstrings and better errors are in order!

Thanks again to everyone,

@ 2017-10-17  6:32     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-10-17  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday, 16 Oct 2017 at 08:39, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On Sunday, 15 Oct 2017 at 23:22, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
>>> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
>>> server?
>>
>> Mine does have more information but it is out of date (by quite a few
>> years) and does not match my current server configuration in any way.
>
> Do you see these servers in the *Server* buffer?

Yes.  But it's not that I want them there.  They are all closed.  I
suppose I can remove them somehow from the server buffer but my approach
to gnus has always been to leave well enough alone... ;-)

--
: Eric S Fraga
: in Emacs 27.0.50 + Gnus v5.13 + evil-git-6ca96e8

@ 2017-10-17 14:51       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-10-17 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Monday, 16 Oct 2017 at 08:39, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

>>> Mine does have more information but it is out of date (by quite a few
>>> years) and does not match my current server configuration in any way.
>>
>> Do you see these servers in the *Server* buffer?
>
> Yes.  But it's not that I want them there.  They are all closed.  I
> suppose I can remove them somehow from the server buffer but my approach
> to gnus has always been to leave well enough alone... ;-)

While I'm 100% in agreement with this principle, I think you've be safe
to hit "k" on those servers and get rid of them (after checking they
don't contain any groups you actually want, of course).

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
@ 2017-10-17 16:32   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-10-17 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave Marquardt <davemarq@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> Mine has all of my servers in it. I connect to 4 servers plus the
> archive "server". For IMAP and NNTP servers, it shows the server,
> port, and some other connection information,
> i.e. nntp-open-connection-function for an NNTP server.

Thanks, Dave. Just to confirm: you did add all these servers using "a"
in the Server buffer, right?

Eric

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-17 17:00 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2017-10-17 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity
> -- does that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but
> the archive server?

Mine is nil, but that's most certainly because I set
gnus-message-archive-method to nil. (Because I use gmail, I
archive by sending to the All Mail group)

Best,
--
Jorge.

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-17 17:54 ` Steinar Bang
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-10-17 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'm trying to figure out how all the variables that hold Gnus' servers
> actually work. `gnus-server-alist' looks like it's meant to be a fairly
> authoritative list, but in my case it has never held anything but the
> archive server.

> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
> server?

Here is my value of gnus-server-method-cache (slightly anonymized):

Value: (("nnml" nnml "")
 ("nndraft" nndraft "")
 ("nntp:news.gwene.org" nntp "news.gwene.org")
 ("nndiary" nndiary "")
 ("ger.gmane.org" nntp "ger.gmane.org")
 ("nntp.dod.no" nntp "nntp.dod.no")
 ("native" nntp "news"
  (nntp-address "nntp.dod.no"))
 ("nntp:news.gmane.org" nntp "news.gmane.org")
 ("nnimap:privat" nnimap "privat"
  (nnimap-address "imap.mydomain.no")
  (nnimap-authenticator cram-md5)
  (nnimap-server-port 993)
  (nnimap-stream ssl))
 ("archive" nnfolder "archive"
  (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-17 19:34 ` Tim Landscheidt
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2017-10-17 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how all the variables that hold Gnus' servers
> actually work. `gnus-server-alist' looks like it's meant to be a fairly
> authoritative list, but in my case it has never held anything but the
> archive server.

> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
> server?

> It looks like `gnus-server-method-cache' ends up actually holding the
> information that would also have gone in `gnus-server-alist'.

> Anyway, I hope some of you will humor me!

| ELISP> gnus-server-alist
| (("archive" nnfolder "archive"
|   (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
|   (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
|   (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
|   (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
|  ("nntp.perl.org" nntp "nntp.perl.org")
|  ("news.fernuni-hagen.de" nntp "news.fernuni-hagen.de")
|  ("news.individual.de" nntp "news.individual.de")
|  ("news.gnus.org" nntp "news.gnus.org")
|  ("news.gmane.org" nntp "news.gmane.org"))

| ELISP> gnus-server-method-cache
| (("nnml:private" nnml "private")
|  ("news.gnus.org" nntp "news.gnus.org")
|  ("nntp.perl.org" nntp "nntp.perl.org")
|  ("native" nnml "private")
|  ("news.individual.de" nntp "news.individual.de")
|  ("news.gmane.org" nntp "news.gmane.org")
|  ("archive" nnfolder "archive"
|   (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
|   (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
|   (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
|   (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))

| ELISP>

Tim

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
@ 2017-10-17 20:32   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-10-17 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to figure out how all the variables that hold Gnus' servers
>> actually work. `gnus-server-alist' looks like it's meant to be a fairly
>> authoritative list, but in my case it has never held anything but the
>> archive server.
>
>> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
>> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
>> server?
>
>> It looks like `gnus-server-method-cache' ends up actually holding the
>> information that would also have gone in `gnus-server-alist'.
>
>> Anyway, I hope some of you will humor me!
>
> | ELISP> gnus-server-alist
> | (("archive" nnfolder "archive"
> |   (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
> |   (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
> |   (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
> |   (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
> |  ("nntp.perl.org" nntp "nntp.perl.org")
> |  ("news.fernuni-hagen.de" nntp "news.fernuni-hagen.de")
> |  ("news.individual.de" nntp "news.individual.de")
> |  ("news.gnus.org" nntp "news.gnus.org")
> |  ("news.gmane.org" nntp "news.gmane.org"))
>
> | ELISP> gnus-server-method-cache
> | (("nnml:private" nnml "private")
> |  ("news.gnus.org" nntp "news.gnus.org")
> |  ("nntp.perl.org" nntp "nntp.perl.org")
> |  ("native" nnml "private")
> |  ("news.individual.de" nntp "news.individual.de")
> |  ("news.gmane.org" nntp "news.gmane.org")
> |  ("archive" nnfolder "archive"
> |   (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
> |   (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
> |   (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
> |   (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))
>
> | ELISP>
>
> Tim

Okay, thanks to you all! I think that's enough data points :)

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
@ 2017-10-18 12:54     ` Dave Marquardt
From: Dave Marquardt @ 2017-10-18 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

Yes, I added these in the Server buffer.

-----------------------
On Tue, Oct 17 2017, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

Dave Marquardt <davemarq@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> Mine has all of my servers in it. I connect to 4 servers plus the
> archive "server". For IMAP and NNTP servers, it shows the server,
> port, and some other connection information,
> i.e. nntp-open-connection-function for an NNTP server.

Thanks, Dave. Just to confirm: you did add all these servers using "a"
in the Server buffer, right?

Eric

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-18 13:20 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2017-10-18 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Oct 15 2017,Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how all the variables that hold Gnus' servers
> actually work. `gnus-server-alist' looks like it's meant to be a fairly
> authoritative list, but in my case it has never held anything but the
> archive server.
>
> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
> server?
>
> It looks like `gnus-server-method-cache' ends up actually holding the
> information that would also have gone in `gnus-server-alist'.
>
> Anyway, I hope some of you will humor me!
>
> Eric

Mine's got some funny stuff....

gnus-server-alist is a variable defined in ‘gnus.el’.

Its value is (("archive" nnfolder "archive"
  (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))

sivaram

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
@ 2017-10-18 16:27   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-10-18 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 15 2017,Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to figure out how all the variables that hold Gnus' servers
>> actually work. `gnus-server-alist' looks like it's meant to be a fairly
>> authoritative list, but in my case it has never held anything but the
>> archive server.
>>
>> If anyone wants to take twenty seconds and satisfy my curiosity -- does
>> that variable hold anything else for you? Anything but the archive
>> server?
>>
>> It looks like `gnus-server-method-cache' ends up actually holding the
>> information that would also have gone in `gnus-server-alist'.
>>
>> Anyway, I hope some of you will humor me!
>>
>> Eric
>>

> Mine's got some funny stuff....
>
> gnus-server-alist is a variable defined in ‘gnus.el’.
>
> Its value is (("archive" nnfolder "archive"
>   (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
>   (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
>   (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
>   (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))

Looks normal to me! Thanks.

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-19 12:08 ` Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙) @ 2017-10-19 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Gnus

In Article <87d15o3y36.fsf@ericabrahamsen.net>,

> I'm trying to figure out how all the variables that hold Gnus' servers
> actually work. `gnus-server-alist' looks like it's meant to be a fairly
> authoritative list, but in my case it has never held anything but the
> archive server.

Mine is: ("C-h v")

gnus-server-alist is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
Its value is (("archive" nnfolder "archive"
  (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))

And screenshot is:
https://github.com/soyeomul/Gnus/blob/MaGnus/ss/MaGnus-Server-Buffer-20171019.png

And,
Emacs version is "GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (modified by Debian)".
Gnus version is "Ma Gnus 0.15".

Sincerely, Byung-Hee.

--
^고맙습니다 _白衣從軍_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: Quick survey of gnus-server-alist
                   ` (12 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-20 19:02 ` Michael Sperber
From: Michael Sperber @ 2017-10-20 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've got a bunch of stuff in there:

(("reader.albasani.net" nntp "reader.albasani.net"
  (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-ssl-stream)
  (nntp-port-number 563)
  (nntp-address "reader.albasani.net"))
 ("archive" nnfolder "archive"
  (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
 ("deinprogramm" nnimap "deinprogramm"
  (nnimap-address "deinprogramm.de")