From: Andrew Cohen <cohen@bu.edu>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: more little nnselect things...
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 09:09:35 +0800	[thread overview]

[...]

    Eric> In the *Group* buffer, yes. On second thought, what I probably
    Eric> mean is providing the "server" string to be displayed as part
    Eric> of the group name.  Ie:

    Eric> nnselect+search:<my search group>

    Eric> Packages which create select groups could provide their own
    Eric> string for identification purposes. I'd have gnorb create
    Eric> "nnselect+gnorb:<group
    name> " groups, for instance. The string would be missing for
    Eric> user-created groups.

    Eric> This might be a mild abuse of the "server" concept, I don't
    Eric> know. But I think it's a useful idea to explore.

    Eric> This reminds me that what I really want is a spec that shows
    Eric> server-plus-group, not backend-plus-server-plus-group. A bit
    Eric> like omitting the protocol in a browser URL bar. But that's a
    Eric> different problem.

I think there is already a spec for that (I don't have time to look it
up right now, but maybe its "s" for the server, with "G" for the
group?)

I haven't paid much attention to the server name for nnselect (since it
doesn't really make sense for this kind of thing). But since its there
we might be able to co-opt it for what you suggest. Allow the creation
of multiple servers with method nnselect. Then you could have your gnorb
server, search server, and anything else. This would also be useful
since you could then do activation on a per-server basis which might be
useful.