* If you get this error: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, w3 and you want to use w3m
@ 2017-05-16 17:16 Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2017-05-16 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

If you get this error: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory,
w3 and you want to use w3m

Customize the variable

browse-url-browser-function

select @ for own function

and set it to w3m-browse-url

(I've been down this road so many times, this is for me to find when I
come back searching).

* Re: If you get this error: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, w3 and you want to use w3m
@ 2017-05-16 18:23 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-16 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-w3m

Richmond wrote:

> If you get this error: Cannot open load file:
> No such file or directory, w3 and you want to
> use w3m
>
> Customize the variable
>
> browse-url-browser-function
>
> select @ for own function
>
> and set it to w3m-browse-url
>
> (I've been down this road so many times, this
> is for me to find when I come back
> searching).

Yes, I have that as well:

    (setq browse-url-browser-function #'w3m-browse-url)

Its original value is
`browse-url-default-browser', so perhaps that
means the thought is you should tell Emacs that
Emacs w3m is your default browser and that'll
handle it.

One can always ask at gmane.emacs.w3m;
I crosspost this there.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: If you get this error: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, w3 and you want to use w3m
@ 2017-05-16 19:33   ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2017-05-16 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>
>> If you get this error: Cannot open load file:
>> No such file or directory, w3 and you want to
>> use w3m
>>
>> Customize the variable
>>
>> browse-url-browser-function
>>
>> select @ for own function
>>
>> and set it to w3m-browse-url
>>
>> (I've been down this road so many times, this
>> is for me to find when I come back
>> searching).
> Yes, I have that as well:
>
>      (setq browse-url-browser-function #'w3m-browse-url)
>
> Its original value is
> `browse-url-default-browser', so perhaps that
> means the thought is you should tell Emacs that
> Emacs w3m is your default browser and that'll
> handle it.
>
> One can always ask at gmane.emacs.w3m;
> I crosspost this there.

It's too late to ask now I think. I have it working. Is there a
different browser called w3? different from w3m? It was w3 which was on
the list of values and I tend to select it because it's the only one
which looks close to w3m.

* Re: If you get this error: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, w3 and you want to use w3m
@ 2017-05-16 19:41     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-05-16 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richmond writes:

> Is there a different browser called w3? different from w3m?

Yes. w3 and w3m are two distinct browsers:

 · https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/w3
 · http://w3m.sourceforge.net/

I prefer the one built in to GNU Emacs these days, shr.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "He's got nothing to say, he's just happy to be there"       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk