From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Configuration weirdness
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:46:22 +0800	[thread overview]

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> Hello again,
>
> Contrary to what I reported about hacking .newsrc.eld to fix this,
> further attempts to do so have failed. Depending on how I hack things,
> I get variously errors about missing directories, or groups with no
> mail, etc.
>
> I even tried moving my ~/Mail directory out of the way and “restarting”
> to see if I could get an example of what a clean setup would look like.
> That wasn't fruitful.
>
> I also tried making some other method (nndiary) my primary select
> method so that the nnml: prefix would be expected. Also not fruitful.
>
> I've now got a whole bunch of useless
>
>   *,   0: nnml:group-name
>
> groups *and*
>
>   2, 234: group-name
>
> groups. Which is kind of annoying.
>
> I'm happy to have nnml: if that's what makes nnir happy. And I would like
> to get nnir working with notmuch since that seemed to do a quite nice job
> for the actual searching.

I may have run out of helpfulness here -- I really don't understand what
is causing this, and I suspect it would take a heck of a lot of
code exploring to figure it out. I guess my recommendation would be to
get your important servers into `gnus-secondary-select-methods', and
then clean up whatever mess results. Once you know which of your
duplicated groups are bogus and which are "real", you can always just
delete the bogus ones.

Sorry,
Eric