From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: importing PGP keys
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:03:10 +0800	[thread overview]

Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> writes:

> Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> writes:
>
>> 1 and 3 are certainly useful code to share, but don't seem super tricky.
>> I am curious what people are doing for 2.  bbdb?
>
> GnuPG does this itself using the email address published in the key ID,
> and I normally just rely on that and don't retain keys in my personal
> public keyring that violate my expectations there.  (Admittedly, I'm not
> great about checking this.)
>
> Are you running across keys where the address at which you contact the
> person isn't represented in the key IDs?  Or are just not wanting to trust
> the information GnuPG retains?
>
> I think the default Gnus behavior is to use GnuPG to check for a key ID
> matching the target email address.

In my case, the problem was that the person just sent me the raw public
key block; ie not the output of gpg --export, which would include the
UIDs along with the key itself. Now I have this key in my public keyring
with no email address associated with it at all, so when I get an
encrypted email from this person, there's no immediate way to tell Gnus
which key to use when decrypting the email.

I was sure that the gpg key management interface would provide some way
of manually adding an email address to someone else's public key, but
I'm not finding it...