* Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-08-27 16:58 Johnny
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Johnny @ 2011-08-27 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I notice several users on this list have a nice citation style to refer
to e.g. (info) locations or code snippets, such as the example below
(copied from a post to examplify what I would like to do).

,----[ C-h v gnus-thread-sort-functions RET ]
| gnus-thread-sort-functions is a variable defined in `gnus-sum.el'.
| Its value is (gnus-thread-sort-by-number
|  (not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)
|  gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score)
`----

How does one achieve this?

I realise Supercite may be part of the solution and have been reading
the info pages, but do not see how the above would be
done. Additionally, using Supercite changes the default Gnus style when
replying to messages (e.g. 'R'), which I find quite nice and want to
keep; I guess I could customise Supercite to mimic this, but can't see
what is to gain by that?

Is Supercite commonly used for this and is there a good "style guide" for
citations around? Examples appreciated! :)

Thanks for any pointers!

--
Johnny

* Re: Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-08-27 17:50   ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-08-27 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 17:58:56 +0100, Johnny wrote:
>
>> How does one achieve this?
>
> boxquote.el: http://www.davep.org/emacs/

This is what I was looking for, thanks! If there's any nice summary on
usage, that'd be great, but I am happy to play around and learn from the
code if necessary.

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
> Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> Is Supercite commonly used for this and is there a good "style guide" for
>> citations around? Examples appreciated! :)
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers!
>
> I would only suggest not using supercite for quoting and indenting
> replies with name attribution. Adam has already linked to boxquote for
> quoting "inserts" if you like. But supercite putting in the initial in
> the left column makes the page SO noisy as to be almost painful. Gnus
> colour codes the level quite nicely and makes it easy to determine to
> whom which block belongs.  Regarding supercite being commonly used :
> certainly not to do the name attributions. I can think of only one
> poster here who uses it but may well be wrong ;)

On second thought, Supercite may not at all be what I want to use! It
seems to be overly complicated and not provide any advantage to Gnus
default behaviour, and the boxquote.el was the required package to do
the quoting I looked for. If there any Supercite users out there that
can motivate me to learn and to use it, I would be happy to hear your
arguments! Surely there must be some clever usage for it ?

Cheers!
--

@ 2011-08-27 18:10 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-08-27 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 17:58:56 +0100, Johnny wrote:

> How does one achieve this?

boxquote.el: http://www.davep.org/emacs/

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "In his words, Emacs is elegant, UNIX arcane."               Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-08-27 18:19       ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-08-27 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I use still use SuperCite - can't really say why, though. I seem to
> remember that it handled filling nested citations better at one point,
> but I'm not sure.
>
> See also: http://koldfront.dk/archive/2010/09/07-201222.html :-)
Ok, that configuration improves the look to get closer to Gnus default
citing style, but slightly more noisy in comparing. I noticed
e.g. Supercite does not cite empty lines, but Gnus does. For the time,
I'll keep to Gnus default and boxquote, but keep the commented supercite
config in case I get compelled/convinced to do a switch in the future.

Thanks!
--

@ 2011-08-27 18:35 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-08-27 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

@ 2011-08-27 19:00     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-08-27 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 18:50:45 +0100, Johnny wrote:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> boxquote.el: http://www.davep.org/emacs/

> This is what I was looking for, thanks! If there's any nice summary on
> usage, that'd be great, but I am happy to play around and learn from the
> code if necessary.

I don't boxquote it often enough to remember/have any shortcuts. Usually
I'll just go M-x boxquote-describe-{variable,function,key} when needed.

                                 o o o

@ 2011-08-27 19:48         ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-08-27 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Sat Aug 27 2011, Johnny <yggdrasil-AT-gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>> I use still use SuperCite - can't really say why, though. I seem to
>> remember that it handled filling nested citations better at one point,
>> but I'm not sure.
>>
>> See also: http://koldfront.dk/archive/2010/09/07-201222.html :-)
> Ok, that configuration improves the look to get closer to Gnus default
> citing style, but slightly more noisy in comparing. I noticed
> e.g. Supercite does not cite empty lines, but Gnus does. For the time,
> I'll keep to Gnus default and boxquote, but keep the commented supercite
> config in case I get compelled/convinced to do a switch in the future.

Doesn't the option to add citation "noise" belong on the receiving end
of the email connection?  I'm surprised nobody has created a "supercite
washer" for Gnus that lets people view citations in whatever fancy way
they choose without imposing it on everyone else.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-08-28  5:26 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-08-28  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Aug 28 2011, Johnny wrote:

> I notice several users on this list have a nice citation style to refer
> to e.g. (info) locations or code snippets, such as the example below
> (copied from a post to examplify what I would like to do).

Boxquote works for… boxquoting, but how do people get Info page links
into their messages? I've always wanted to do that, and it doesn't seem
to be a boxquote thing.

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-08-28  9:01   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-08-28  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

>> I notice several users on this list have a nice citation style to
>> refer to e.g. (info) locations or code snippets, such as the example
>> below (copied from a post to examplify what I would like to do).
>
> Boxquote works for… boxquoting, but how do people get Info page links
> into their messages? I've always wanted to do that, and it doesn't
> seem to be a boxquote thing.

http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/rs-info.el

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-08-28  9:35     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-08-28  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Aug 28 2011, Tassilo Horn wrote:

>>> I notice several users on this list have a nice citation style to
>>> refer to e.g. (info) locations or code snippets, such as the example
>>> below (copied from a post to examplify what I would like to do).
>>
>> Boxquote works for… boxquoting, but how do people get Info page links
>> into their messages? I've always wanted to do that, and it doesn't
>> seem to be a boxquote thing.
>
> http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/rs-info.el

Nice! Thanks a lot.

* Re: Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-08-29  1:33       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-08-29  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

AS> I use still use SuperCite - can't really say why, though.

I need my pimpmobile, matches my http://www.youtube.com/user/jidanni2
rap collection, which, gosh, I just now realize need to have a way to
append random songs to my messages... the more obtrusively the better.
OK, here's one
* MICHEL'LE - NO MORE LIES (FUNKY MIX)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvgFdcpgkeg&list=PLDE211ADDDB800FD2

* Re: Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-08-29 14:25     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2011-08-29 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: ding

J> If there any Supercite users out there that can motivate me to learn
J> and to use it, I would be happy to hear your arguments! Surely there
J> must be some clever usage for it ?

I use supercite and it does take a bit of reading.  I didn't like the
default settings.  But then, that's why I use emacs: I don't like the
default settings for anything.

I think instead of deciding on the package to use that you should decide
what you want your replies to look like.  Then find (or create) the
package that does that.
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/

* Re: Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-09-10 22:09           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-10 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> Doesn't the option to add citation "noise" belong on the receiving end
> of the email connection?  I'm surprised nobody has created a "supercite
> washer" for Gnus that lets people view citations in whatever fancy way
> they choose without imposing it on everyone else.

Yeah, I don't like supercite.  Quoted text should be simply ">", and
then the receiver can display that however they want.  Supercite is the
number one reason why it's virtually impossible to handle cited text
automatically.

* Re: Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-09-27 22:03             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-09-27 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 00:09:02 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>> Doesn't the option to add citation "noise" belong on the receiving end
>> of the email connection?  I'm surprised nobody has created a "supercite
>> washer" for Gnus that lets people view citations in whatever fancy way
>> they choose without imposing it on everyone else.

LMI> Yeah, I don't like supercite.  Quoted text should be simply ">", and
LMI> then the receiver can display that however they want.  Supercite is the
LMI> number one reason why it's virtually impossible to handle cited text
LMI> automatically.

Just wait until I get vertical (left-to-right) quoting working ;)

Ted

* Re: Citing text tutorials and practices? Supercite?
@ 2011-09-28 10:22               ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-09-28 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:03:43 -0500, Ted wrote:

> Just wait until I get vertical (left-to-right) quoting working ;)

Oh, our ~/News/all.SCORE files are ready, don't you worry.

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather          Adam Sjøgren
  than spending the rest of the week debugging           asjo@koldfront.dk