From: George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: problem sending drafts
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 13:31:05 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi--

I'm using "recent gnus" via git, and I'm having some trouble sending
drafts. Well, the drafts do get sent, but gnus subsequently hangs
until I `C-g'.

I have two gmail imap accounts

,----
| 	(nnimap "personal"
| 		(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
| 		(nnimap-stream ssl)
| 		)
| 	(nnimap "gmail-tufts"
| 		(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
| 		(nnimap-stream ssl)
| 		)
`----

I send mail as follows:

,----
| ;; use msmtp to send mail
| (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
| (setq sendmail-program "msmtp")
`----

And I have gnus-posting-styles set with the following

,----
| (setq gnus-posting-styles
|  '(
|    (".*"
|     (eval (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "gmcninch-gmail")))
|     <snip>
|     )
|    ("tufts"
|     (eval (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "gmcninch-tufts")))
|     <snip>
|     )
|  ))
`----

where "gmcninch-gmail" and "gmcninch-tufts" are accounts defined in
~/.msmtprc

If I start composing a message in gnus, save it (`C-x C-s'), and then
try to send it, the mail is indeed sent, but then gnus seems to hang
trying to make some connection, as shown in these *Messages*:

For mail composed/sent as "gmcninch-gmail"
,----
| Sending...
| Sending via mail...
| Sending...done
| Opening connection to personal via tls...
| Opening TLS connection to `personal'...
| Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p imaps personal'...
| Quit [2 times]
`----

and for mail composed/sent as "gmcninch-tufts"
,----
| Sending...
| Sending via mail...
| Sending...done
| Opening connection to gmail-tufts via tls...
| Opening TLS connection to `gmail-tufts'...
| Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p imaps gmail-tufts'...
| Quit
`----

In both cases the Quit(s) are the result of me `C-g'-ing because
gnus was hung.

I'm actually a little confused why gnus is trying to make a connection
then at all.

The variable gnus-message-archive-group is set to

,----
| (add-to-list 'gnus-message-archive-group
| 	     (list "gmail-tufts" "nnimap+gmail-tufts:[Gmail]/Sent Mail"))
`----

so in one case maybe the connection is an attempt to archive the mail,
and it is hanging (but that archiving seems to be unaffected by the
hang-up).

best,
george

--
George McNinch <gmcninch (at) gmail.com>
http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu