* why doesn't C-h b list w3m keys
@ 2011-04-01 12:56 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-04-01 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Why when in the article buffer C-h k { says
} runs the command w3m-next-image, which is an interactive compiled
but C-h b does not list it?
I use http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/ .

* Re: why doesn't C-h b list w3m keys
@ 2011-04-02 20:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-04-02 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Why when in the article buffer C-h k { says
> } runs the command w3m-next-image, which is an interactive compiled
> but C-h b does not list it?

`C-h b' just lists the keys in the current mode(s) of the buffer.  It
doesn't list the keys that are bound due to text properties and
overlays.  It probably should, and that's an Emacs bug.

* describe-bindings does not list text properties and overlay bindings!
@ 2011-04-03  1:04   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-04-03  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs; +Cc: ding

Dear Emacs Professionals/Nurds,

Since back in the 1980's I've depended on C-h b to tell me what all the
keys are currently bound to in the buffer I'm in.

I even printed them out on paper and studied them all.

  C-h b runs the command describe-bindings, which is an interactive
  compiled Lisp function in `help.el'.

  Show a list of all defined keys, and their definitions.
  We put that list in a buffer, and display the buffer.

So you can understand my shock upon finding out,

LMI> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

>> Why when in the article buffer C-h k { says
>> } runs the command w3m-next-image, which is an interactive compiled
>> but C-h b does not list it?

LMI> `C-h b' just lists the keys in the current mode(s) of the buffer.  It
LMI> doesn't list the keys that are bound due to text properties and
LMI> overlays.  It probably should, and that's an Emacs bug.

OK, I'll hereby report it.

* Re: bug#8414: describe-bindings does not list text properties and overlay bindings!
@ 2019-08-21 21:05     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-08-21 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: 8414, ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Since back in the 1980's I've depended on C-h b to tell me what all the
> keys are currently bound to in the buffer I'm in.
>
> I even printed them out on paper and studied them all.
>
>   C-h b runs the command describe-bindings, which is an interactive
>   compiled Lisp function in `help.el'.
>
>   Show a list of all defined keys, and their definitions.
>   We put that list in a buffer, and display the buffer.

(I'm going through old bug reports that have unfortunately gotten no
attention yet.)

I had a peek at this now -- I hit `C-h b' on text that has a `keymap'
property, and it looks like it's been fixed in the intervening years:

`keymap' Property Bindings:
key             binding

TAB		shr-next-link
RET		eww-follow-link
ESC		Prefix Command
+		image-increase-size
-		image-decrease-size

So I'm closing this bug report.  If you're still seeing this, please
reopen.