From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
To: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>
Subject: Re: HTML rendering: shr-width doesn't quite work properly with full window width
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:06:57 +0000	[thread overview]

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> Hi Eric,
>
>> I have tried customising shr-width, setting it to nil so that the
>> rendering uses the full window width.  However, it appears that the
>> rendering uses lines one character too long...  has anybody else
>> noticed this?  Or am I doing something else wrong?
>
> I've just tested it, and at least for the html mails I used for testing,
> the width was exactly the window width.  Maybe you accidentally resized
> the emacs window after the article was shown?
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

No, I definitely did not resize the window (I use ratpoison as my window
manager and all windows are full screen all the time).  I'll play around
some more to see if the behaviour is different for specific HTML
examples.  It's not a big deal, in any case, as (a) I don't get many
HTML messages and (b) I can easily truncate-lines when I do...

I must say that having changed the table border characters (vertical,
horizontal and corners) all to spaces, the result is actually quite
pleasing (in a "if I have to read such emails, at least they should look
good" kind of way).  Interestingly, the customise interface does not
allow specifying a space as the character to use, but that's another
story ;-)

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.14