On Sat, Dec 18 2010, Ted Zlatanov wrote: >>> I think you mean you'd like gnus-sync.el to be more than data storage: a >>> search/modify facility that Gnus would rely on to set and get article >>> counts, marks, etc. It would act like a general IMAP backend between >>> the specific backends like nnimap and nnml and the general Gnus >>> facilities like getting the list of articles and marks. Yes, it >>> certainly could do that, and then it would be much more integrated with >>> Gnus than I was thinking. You'd have to do a lot of work. > > JD> No. > > I appreciate the depth and thoroughness of your response. I'm sorry, but I misread you[1], and after re-reading your message a dozen of times I just understand what you really meant. So actually, I think your idea could be very good if that's done correctly. `gnus-sync' would be a no-op in the case of nnimap + a good and usual IMAP server[2], but would be a file storage facility for other back-ends where the server does not provide marks/subscriptions/whatever storage. (Not sure gnus-sync is a good name since I don't think it would be the sync part itself like it is currently.) Once again, my apologies for being a bit rude, Ted. :) [1] Not because you wrote badly, but probably because I'm not a native English speaker and your sentence sounded another way in my head, plus that I merged that with what you wrote previously about gnus-sync. [2] It could still be useful for IMAP anonymous access, à la NNTP. -- Julien Danjou ❱ http://julien.danjou.info