From: Bojan Nikolic <bojan@bnikolic.co.uk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Dealing with hanging IMAP connections
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:30:02 +0000	[thread overview]

Frank Schmitt <ich@frank-schmitt.net> writes:

> John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>
>> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>>
>>> On my notebook, which is connected via WLAN, my IMAP connection hangs
>>> from time to time. When this happens, I completely have to restart Gnus,
>>> which I find pretty annoying. Stefan Monnier posted a patch to
>>> emacs-help which will open a new connection when you interrupt the
>>> current IMAP operation with C-g. I've applied this patch to my
>>> installation and find it very useful. I think this or something similar
>>> should be applied to imap.el, preferably as a customizable option?
>>>
>>> Here's the link to Stefan's post:
>>>
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/69934
>>
>> Thanks, I'll check that out.
>>
>> In these situations, you might also try M-x list-processes, then
>> (kill-process "imap") or "imap<1>" etc. That's what I often have to do
>> when I change networks.
>
> Me too. I use ssl so I have to "killall openssl" in a shell.

I resort to this very often too. I always I assumed that this is a bug
with openssl, it really ought to figure out that it won't be able to
restore its connection and terminate it.

One way of working around it would be to shorten the openssl ssl session
timeout, but I haven't been able to find the way to do that. Maybe
somebody here knows?

--
Bojan Nikolic          ||          http://www.bnikolic.co.uk