* Pick and read method
@ 2009-01-05 10:49 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-01-05 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Would it be possible to disable scoring in the summary buffer
when one is following the 'pick and read' way ? Actually, this
method is more or less a 'manual scoring' of the messages/threads
of interest and thus, having both could confuse a user.

More generally, how many people are using this method and why ?
Talking for me, it is because I do not like automatic scoring
made by Gnus; hard to setup, hasardous results when tweaked too
much, could discard totally valid messages (or the opposite), ...
Maybe the adaptative scoring is not for me and I should stick
with the 'kill-file' + 'pick and read' method (currently I am
evaluating it).

Cheers,

Xavier

* Re: Pick and read method
@ 2009-01-05 21:14 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-01-05 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: xavier

On Mon, Jan 05 2009, Xavier Maillard wrote:

> Would it be possible to disable scoring in the summary buffer

Unless you activate adaptive scoring or add rule manually, no scoring
happens.  So I'm not sure what you have in mind.

,----
`----

> when one is following the 'pick and read' way ? Actually, this
> method is more or less a 'manual scoring' of the messages/threads
> of interest and thus, having both could confuse a user.
>
> More generally, how many people are using this method and why ?
> Talking for me, it is because I do not like automatic scoring

You mean adaptive scoring?

> made by Gnus; hard to setup, hasardous results when tweaked too
> much, could discard totally valid messages (or the opposite), ...
> Maybe the adaptative scoring is not for me and I should stick
> with the 'kill-file' + 'pick and read' method (currently I am
> evaluating it).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Pick and read method
@ 2009-01-05 22:31   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-01-05 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: xavier

> On Mon, Jan 05 2009, Xavier Maillard wrote:
>
>> Would it be possible to disable scoring in the summary buffer
>
> Unless you activate adaptive scoring or add rule manually, no scoring
> happens.  So I'm not sure what you have in mind.
>
> ,----
> | (defcustom gnus-use-adaptive-scoring nil
> |   "*If non-nil, use some adaptive scoring scheme.
> | If a list, then the values `word' and `line' are meaningful.  The
> | former will perform adaption on individual words in the subject
> | header while `line' will perform adaption on several headers."
> `----

Right. I thought it was the default.

>> when one is following the 'pick and read' way ? Actually, this
>> method is more or less a 'manual scoring' of the messages/threads
>> of interest and thus, having both could confuse a user.
>>
>> More generally, how many people are using this method and why ?
>> Talking for me, it is because I do not like automatic scoring
>
> You mean adaptive scoring?

Yes.

Bye, Xavier