* Copying articles to an nnimap group is failing.
@ 2008-09-13 19:46 Jason Riedy
From: Jason Riedy @ 2008-09-13 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm trying to copy articles from an nnmbox group to an nnimap group,
and it fails so spectacularly that I need to restart gnus.  This is
with the current CVS gnus.

When I copy (B C) or move (B M) an article, I receive an error "writing
to process: bad address, imap" (backtrace below).  After that, gnus is
ready, but it hangs on any other access to that imap server.  If I kill
the imapd manually, then gnus sometimes can keep working but not always.

At first I thought I had found a reason to move from dovecot to courier,
but the problem occurs with *both* servers.  I'm using
imap-shell-program to invoke the imap server locally.[1]

The backtrace:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "writing to process" "bad address" #<process imap>)
>   process-send-region(#<process imap> 1 209423)
>   imap-send-command(("APPEND \"" "INBOX.sparse.VIC" "\" " #<buffer  *copy article*>) nil)
>   imap-send-command-wait(("APPEND \"" "INBOX.sparse.VIC" "\" " #<buffer  *copy article*>))
>   imap-message-append("INBOX.sparse.VIC" #<buffer  *copy article*> nil nil " *nnimap* Local")
>   nnimap-request-accept-article("INBOX.sparse.VIC" "Local" t)
>   gnus-request-accept-article("nnimap+Local:INBOX.sparse.VIC" nil t t)
>   gnus-summary-move-article(nil nil nil copy)
>   gnus-summary-copy-article(nil)
>   call-interactively(gnus-summary-copy-article nil nil)

The *imap-log* buffer contains:
> 129 NOOP
> 129 OK NOOP completed

> 130 APPEND "INBOX.sparse.VIC" {209422}
> + OK

followed by the entire messge.  After I quit gnus, it also contains:

> * BYE Disconnected for inactivity.

> 26 NOOP

> 26 OK Completed

Sometimes the message is copied, and sometimes it isn't.

Jason

Footnotes:
[1]  I use OfflineIMAP to keep a messages in a few different places, and
it doesn't know about nnmaildir's extra files.  So nnmaildir isn't an option.