* gnus with Fastmail.fm account
@ 2007-09-07  1:35 Trey Sizemore
From: Trey Sizemore @ 2007-09-07  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all-

Anyone on the list using a Fastmail.fm IMAP account that can help me
with getting gnus setup for me to read my mail?  Especially how I go
about looking at the mail in the various folders under my INBOX?

I'm in the process of getting into emacs and want to use it for as much
as possible, including sending & receiving my mail.

--
Cheers,
Trey

New members urgently required for SUICIDE CLUB, Watford area.
		-- Monty Python's Big Red Book

Linux valkyrie 2.6.16.53-0.8-bigsmp i686 GNU/Linux
  9:32pm  up   2:02,  3 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.19, 0.18

* Re: gnus with Fastmail.fm account
@ 2007-09-07  7:32 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-09-07  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:

Hi Trey,

> Anyone on the list using a Fastmail.fm IMAP account that can help me
> with getting gnus setup for me to read my mail?  Especially how I go
> about looking at the mail in the various folders under my INBOX?

That should be a minimal setup for reading and sending mail.

,----[ ~/.gnus.el ]

`----

,----[ ~/.authinfo ]
| machine mail.messagingengine.com login thorn@fastmail.fm password XXX force yes
`----

After you did those entries start gnus and hit `^' in the *Group* buffer
which brings you to the server buffer.  There hit RET on the Fastmail
server and you enter its groups listing where you can subscribe to
groups with `u'.

HTH,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus with Fastmail.fm account
@ 2007-09-12 15:46   ` Trey Sizemore
From: Trey Sizemore @ 2007-09-12 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri Sep 07, 2007 09:32AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> Hi Trey,
>
> > Anyone on the list using a Fastmail.fm IMAP account that can help me
> > with getting gnus setup for me to read my mail?  Especially how I go
> > about looking at the mail in the various folders under my INBOX?
>
> That should be a minimal setup for reading and sending mail.
>
> ,----[ ~/.gnus.el ]
> | ;; Reading mail via IMAP
> | (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> |              '(nnimap "Fastmail"
> |                       (nnimap-address "mail.messagingengine.com")))
> |
> | ;; Sending via Fastmail's SMTP
> | (require 'smtpmail)
> | (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
> |       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
> |       smtpmail-smtp-server  "mail.messagingengine.com")
> `----
>
> ,----[ ~/.authinfo ]
> | machine mail.messagingengine.com login thorn@fastmail.fm password XXX force yes
> `----
>
> After you did those entries start gnus and hit `^' in the *Group* buffer
> which brings you to the server buffer.  There hit RET on the Fastmail
> server and you enter its groups listing where you can subscribe to
> groups with `u'.
>
> HTH,
> Tassilo

Thanks Tassilo-

That worked for getting to the mail.  The default layout for messages
looks a bit ugly for my taste, so I'll need to read up on how to change
this.  I assume I can also do the things I'm used to in mutt such as
mark messages as important, gpg sign, include citations in the message
body easily, etc.?

Perhaps someone on the list can point me to a nice, heavily-commented
.gnus file from which I can learn and pilfer some of the above? ;-)

--
Cheers,
Trey

HELP!!!! I'm being held prisoner in /usr/games/lib!

Linux fedora7.thesizemores.us 2.6.22.4-65.fc7 i686 GNU/Linux
 11:43:36 up 2 days, 22:41,  3 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.17, 0.20

* Re: gnus with Fastmail.fm account
@ 2007-09-12 18:27     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-09-12 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:

Hi Trey,

> The default layout for messages looks a bit ugly for my taste, so I'll
> need to read up on how to change this.

I think you mean

,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]

`----

> I assume I can also do the things I'm used to in mutt such as mark
> messages as important,

Normally I go with

,----[ (info "(gnus)Unread Articles") ]
| `!'
|      Marked as ticked (`gnus-ticked-mark').
|
|      "Ticked articles" are articles that will remain visible always.  If
|      you see an article that you find interesting, or you want to put
|      off reading it, or replying to it, until sometime later, you'd
|      typically tick it.
`----

for articles I want to reply to later.  To mark an article as important
scoring is the best way, I think.

See

,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Score Commands") ]
`----

> gpg sign,

Have a look at EasyPGP [1] which is going to replace PGG.

> include citations in the message body easily, etc.?

I use something homebrewn with fortune and posting styles, but maybe
randomsig [2].

> Perhaps someone on the list can point me to a nice, heavily-commented
> .gnus file from which I can learn and pilfer some of the above? ;-)

Mine is at http://www.tsdh.de/configs/.gnus.el, but it's documented
mostly in German.  And the usual warning:  Don't copy stuff you don't
fully understand.

Bye,
Tassilo
__________
[1] http://www.easypg.org/
[2] http://www.backmes.de/scripts+programs/randomsig.el

* Re: gnus with Fastmail.fm account
@ 2007-09-12 18:45       ` Trey Sizemore
From: Trey Sizemore @ 2007-09-12 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:27:16 +0200
Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

> [...]
> | gnus-user-format-function-X, where X is the letter following %u.
> | The function will be passed the current header as argument.  The
> | function should return a string, which will be inserted into the
> | summary just like information from any other summary specifier.
> |
> | The %U (status), %R (replied) and %z (zcore) specs have to be
> | handled with care.  For reasons of efficiency, Gnus will compute
> | what column these characters will end up in, and "hard-code" that.
> | This means that it is invalid to have these specs after a
> | variable-length spec.  Well, you might not be arrested, but your
> | summary buffer will look strange, which is bad enough.
> |
> | The smart choice is to have these specs as far to the left as
> | possible.
> |
> | This restriction may disappear in later versions of Gnus.
> |
> | General format specifiers can also be used.
> | See Info node `(gnus)Formatting Variables'.

Yes, it appears these are the ones I need to play around with.

> > I assume I can also do the things I'm used to in mutt such as mark
> > messages as important,
>
> Normally I go with
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Unread Articles") ]
> | `!'
> |      Marked as ticked (`gnus-ticked-mark').
> |
> |      "Ticked articles" are articles that will remain visible
> | always.  If you see an article that you find interesting, or you
> | want to put off reading it, or replying to it, until sometime
> | later, you'd typically tick it.
> `----
>
> for articles I want to reply to later.  To mark an article as
> important scoring is the best way, I think.
>
> See
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Score Commands") ]
> | The score commands that alter score entries do not actually modify
> | real score files.  That would be too inefficient.  Gnus maintains a
> | cache of previously loaded score files, one of which is considered
> | the "current score file alist".  The score commands simply insert
> | entries into this list, and upon group exit, this list is saved.
> `----

Yes, more so I want to mark as important such that it stands out from
other messages in a folder.  With mutt, it gets marked with a ! and
also highlights it in a different color.

> > gpg sign,
>
> Have a look at EasyPGP [1] which is going to replace PGG.
>
> > include citations in the message body easily, etc.?
>
> I use something homebrewn with fortune and posting styles, but maybe
> randomsig [2].

Thanks, good info.  Here I really meant citations like you did above
with [1] and [2].

> > Perhaps someone on the list can point me to a nice,
> > heavily-commented .gnus file from which I can learn and pilfer some
> > of the above? ;-)
>
> Mine is at http://www.tsdh.de/configs/.gnus.el, but it's documented
> mostly in German.  And the usual warning:  Don't copy stuff you don't
> fully understand.

My German is a bit rusty, so I don't know how much help it will be, but
thanks just the same.  I'll try to find some that are commented in
English.

@ 2007-09-12 19:14         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-09-12 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:

>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Score Commands") ]
>> | The score commands that alter score entries do not actually modify
>> | real score files.  That would be too inefficient.  Gnus maintains a
>> | cache of previously loaded score files, one of which is considered
>> | the "current score file alist".  The score commands simply insert
>> | entries into this list, and upon group exit, this list is saved.
>> `----
>>

> Yes, more so I want to mark as important such that it stands out from
> other messages in a folder.  With mutt, it gets marked with a ! and
> also highlights it in a different color.

Messages with higher score use a different face and you can sort by
score to list important messages first.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Sorting the Summary Buffer") ]
`----

>> I use something homebrewn with fortune and posting styles, but maybe
>> randomsig [2].
>
> Thanks, good info.  Here I really meant citations like you did above
> with [1] and [2].

Ah, ok.  That's footnote.el which is included in Emacs.

Bye,
Tassilo