* probem with mime parts face
@ 2007-06-01 19:19 Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-06-01 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I have an email with 6 parts (text/plain). In Article buffer I type K b
to distinguish them and have button for each file. Then I type RET on a
button which hides the text and after typing again RET I get the text
but with different foreground face of the text, namely
boldface. Preferably this action should not change the face of the
text. Is it a bug? I'm using Gnus v5.11 under Debian Unstable

Any idea?

regards,
Seweryn

* Re: probem with mime parts face
@ 2007-06-04 10:40 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-04 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have an email with 6 parts (text/plain). In Article buffer I type K b
> to distinguish them and have button for each file. Then I type RET on a
> button which hides the text and after typing again RET I get the text
> but with different foreground face of the text, namely
> boldface. Preferably this action should not change the face of the
> text. Is it a bug? I'm using Gnus v5.11 under Debian Unstable

> Any idea?

This workaround will do the trick:

(setq gnus-article-button-face nil)

Each MIME button has three faces; one is the `bold' face which
`gnus-parse-format' adds according to `gnus-mime-button-line-format',
and the others are the `gnus-button' face and the `widget-button'
face.  The former uses a text property and the others use
overlays.  The cause of the problem is that inserted text part
inherits the `gnus-button' face of the next MIME button.  The
workaround prevents Gnus from putting that face.

I think the appearance of MIME buttons should be controlled by
only the `gnus-button' face.  However, Gnus uses two (or more)
faces not only there but also here and there.  Moreover, I don't
know why the `widget-button' face is not inherited to the
inserted text part.  Anyway, I need to look into it further...

* Re: probem with mime parts face
@ 2007-06-05 11:43   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-05 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I have an email with 6 parts (text/plain). In Article buffer I type K b
>> to distinguish them and have button for each file. Then I type RET on a
>> button which hides the text and after typing again RET I get the text
>> but with different foreground face of the text, namely
>> boldface. Preferably this action should not change the face of the
>> text. Is it a bug? I'm using Gnus v5.11 under Debian Unstable

>> Any idea?

[...]

> I don't know why the `widget-button' face is not inherited to
> the inserted text part.

Because `widget-specify-button' sets the fourth argument of
`make-overlay' when making a button.

,----
| (make-overlay beg end &optional buffer front-advance rear-advance)
|
| [...]
| The fourth arg front-advance, if non-nil, makes the marker
| for the front of the overlay advance when text is inserted there
| (which means the text *is not* included in the overlay).
`----

I've made a change in the trunk so that `gnus-insert-mime-button'
may do the same.  Probably I've solved the problem.

If you are hard to update Gnus everyday ;-p, you can use the
following instead temporarily in your ~/.gnus.el file:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 169 bytes --]

* Re: probem with mime parts face
@ 2007-06-05 20:56     ` Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-06-05 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>>> I have an email with 6 parts (text/plain). In Article buffer I type K b
>>> to distinguish them and have button for each file. Then I type RET on a
>>> button which hides the text and after typing again RET I get the text
>>> but with different foreground face of the text, namely
>>> boldface. Preferably this action should not change the face of the
>>> text. Is it a bug? I'm using Gnus v5.11 under Debian Unstable
>
>>> Any idea?
>
> [...]
>
>> I don't know why the `widget-button' face is not inherited to
>> the inserted text part.
>
> Because `widget-specify-button' sets the fourth argument of
> `make-overlay' when making a button.
>
> ,----
> | (make-overlay beg end &optional buffer front-advance rear-advance)
> |
> | [...]
> | The fourth arg front-advance, if non-nil, makes the marker
> | for the front of the overlay advance when text is inserted there
> | (which means the text *is not* included in the overlay).
> `----
>
> I've made a change in the trunk so that `gnus-insert-mime-button'
> may do the same.  Probably I've solved the problem.
>
> If you are hard to update Gnus everyday ;-p, you can use the
> following instead temporarily in your ~/.gnus.el file:
> (if (featurep 'xemacs)
>     nil
>   (defalias 'gnus-make-overlay
>     (lambda (beg end &optional buffer front-advance rear-advance)
>       (make-overlay beg end buffer t))))

Thanks a lot for help,
regards,
Seweryn