* nnimap groups are ephemeral
@ 2006-01-30 12:06 Alex Polite
From: Alex Polite @ 2006-01-30 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

Since I'm moving to imap from pop I might as well ditch my old email
client and do one more thing i emacs.

Gnus seems to be the email client of choice in emacs. I've been
looking at my.gnus.org and have reached the point were I can open my
imap mailboxes in gnus and write/send mail.

When I issue gnus-summary-reselect-current-group in the summary buffer
I get "Ephemeral groups can't be reselected".

I understand the difference between  ephemeral groups and solid groups
but I don't understand why my nnimap groups default to ephemeral.

emacs version: 21.4a-1ubuntu1
gnus version: 5.10.6-0.CVS.20050610-1

relevant part of .gnus.el

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "m4"
				  (nnimap-address "mymailserver")
				  (nnimap-server-port 143)
				  (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/repos/conf/authinfo-mail-m4")
				  ))

--
Alex Polite
http://flosspick.org - finding the right open source

* Re: nnimap groups are ephemeral
@ 2006-01-30 22:30 ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2006-01-30 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Polite <notmyprivateemail@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Since I'm moving to imap from pop I might as well ditch my old email
> client and do one more thing i emacs.
>
> Gnus seems to be the email client of choice in emacs. I've been
> looking at my.gnus.org and have reached the point were I can open my
> imap mailboxes in gnus and write/send mail.
>
> When I issue gnus-summary-reselect-current-group in the summary buffer
> I get "Ephemeral groups can't be reselected".
>
> I understand the difference between ephemeral groups and solid
> groups but I don't understand why my nnimap groups default to
> ephemeral.

They don't.  Something's wrong.  The only way to read a group
ephemerally is to enter it with C-M-<RET> from the *Group* bufffer,
and I doubt you're doing that.  A simple <SPC> or <RET> is the usual
way to read/enter a group.

See (info "(gnus)Selecting a group")

[place cursor above this line and type C-x C-e to read info node]

> emacs version: 21.4a-1ubuntu1
> gnus version: 5.10.6-0.CVS.20050610-1
>
> relevant part of .gnus.el
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "m4"
> 				  (nnimap-address "mymailserver")
> 				  (nnimap-server-port 143)
> 				  (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/repos/conf/authinfo-mail-m4")
> 				  ))

There's nothing wrong with this select-method, at least there's
nothing in it to make your nnimap groups ephemeral.

sdt