* Trailing whitespace stripping
@ 2003-10-30 16:23 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-10-30 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: belanger

Hi,

in a message posted to emacs-devel by Jay Belanger, whitespace was
removed from attached patch files (text/x-patch) [1].  He wrote, that
he could reproduce it with "-q --no-site-file" [2].

In my tests, I observed, that in the normal message text, trailing
spaces are removed, if there are no other characters on the line
(i.e. "^ +$" --> ""). [3,4] (But I couldn't reproduce it for
text/x-patch attachments.)

I think it should be possible to send both, *inline* patches and
text/* attachments, without any whitespace stripping, because some
mailing lists (or list software) doesn't allow attachments at all.

I couldn't find anything related to this in the Gnus (and Message)
sources.  Any ideas?

Bye, Reiner.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel:17529
[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel:17553
[3] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.test:1035
[4] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.test:1036
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Trailing whitespace stripping
@ 2003-10-30 17:08 ` era
From: era @ 2003-10-30 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:23:10 +0100, Reiner Steib
<4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> posted to gmane.emacs.gnus.general:
 > I think it should be possible to send both, *inline* patches and
 > text/* attachments, without any whitespace stripping, because some
 > mailing lists (or list software) doesn't allow attachments at all.

Isn't one of the purposes of Quoted-Printable encoding is to allow for
an unambiguous and transport-safe way to preserve trailing spaces?
Merely making sure you don't strip them when you send them is hardly
sufficient (as in, adequately robust) in any event.

/* era */

--
The email address era     the contact information   Just for kicks, imagine
at iki dot fi is heavily  link on my home page at   what it's like to get