* Splitting mail between multiple addresses
@ 2022-11-12  1:29 TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2022-11-12  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello list,

I have a couple different email addresses (each as secondary select
methods), with nntp (Gmane) as primary select method.

I have some rules defined in `nnmail-split-methods', and then under each
email, I have `nnimap-split-methods' set to 'default'.  This seemed to
be the only way to get it to work.

I would really like to set up splitting rules under each email address,
that would be specific to mail coming to that address.  But I could not
figure out how to do so.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,
TRS-80

* Re: Splitting mail between multiple addresses
@ 2022-11-13 15:14 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

TRS-80 wrote:

> I would really like to set up splitting rules under each
> email address, that would be specific to mail coming
> to [...]

The "To:" header?

Maybe the "CC:" as well ...

(setq nnmail-split-methods
  (("mail.some-group" "\\(To\\|Cc\\): ...")
  ... ))

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Splitting mail between multiple addresses
@ 2022-11-14 21:07 ` Greg Farough
From: Greg Farough @ 2022-11-14 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, Nov 11 2022, TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I have a couple different email addresses (each as secondary select
> methods), with nntp (Gmane) as primary select method.
>
> I have some rules defined in `nnmail-split-methods', and then under each
> email, I have `nnimap-split-methods' set to 'default'.  This seemed to
> be the only way to get it to work.
>
> I would really like to set up splitting rules under each email address,
> that would be specific to mail coming to that address.  But I could not
> figure out how to do so.
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.

I use something like this:

(nnimap "Email"
        <snip>
        (nnmail-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
	(nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
	(nnmail-split-fancy (|
	                    ("from" "ding@gnus.org" "INBOX.gnus")
                            ("from" "morgoth@mordorenterprises.org" junk)
                            ..and so on..
                            )))

And that works.

-g

--
"We carry a new world here, in our hearts. That world is growing in
this minute."

* Re: Splitting mail between multiple addresses
@ 2022-11-16  4:17   ` TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2022-11-16  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Greg Farough <gregf@gnu.org> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 11 2022, TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I have a couple different email addresses (each as secondary select
>> methods), with nntp (Gmane) as primary select method.
>>
>> I have some rules defined in `nnmail-split-methods', and then under each
>> email, I have `nnimap-split-methods' set to 'default'.  This seemed to
>> be the only way to get it to work.
>>
>> I would really like to set up splitting rules under each email address,
>> that would be specific to mail coming to that address.  But I could not
>> figure out how to do so.
>>
>> Any tips would be appreciated.
>
> I use something like this:
>
> (nnimap "Email"
>         <snip>
>         (nnmail-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
> 	(nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
> 	(nnmail-split-fancy (|
> 	                    ("from" "ding@gnus.org" "INBOX.gnus")
>                             ("from" "morgoth@mordorenterprises.org" junk)
>                             ..and so on..
>                             )))
>
> And that works.
>
> -g

If I am understanding you correctly, I should be able to define both
`nnmail-split-methods' and `nnimap-split-methods' /per email/?

In my case, I am using simple (not fancy) but maybe it doesn't matter.

Thanks a lot for the pointer!  I'll try it and report back how it goes.

@ 2022-11-16 16:31     ` Greg Farough
From: Greg Farough @ 2022-11-16 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Nov 15 2022, TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> wrote:

> Greg Farough <gregf@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 11 2022, TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I have a couple different email addresses (each as secondary select
>>> methods), with nntp (Gmane) as primary select method.
>>>
>>> I have some rules defined in `nnmail-split-methods', and then under each
>>> email, I have `nnimap-split-methods' set to 'default'.  This seemed to
>>> be the only way to get it to work.
>>>
>>> I would really like to set up splitting rules under each email address,
>>> that would be specific to mail coming to that address.  But I could not
>>> figure out how to do so.
>>>
>>> Any tips would be appreciated.
>>
>> I use something like this:
>>
>> (nnimap "Email"
>>         <snip>
>>         (nnmail-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
>> 	(nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
>> 	(nnmail-split-fancy (|
>> 	                    ("from" "ding@gnus.org" "INBOX.gnus")
>>                             ("from" "morgoth@mordorenterprises.org" junk)
>>                             ..and so on..
>>                             )))
>>
>> And that works.
>>
>> -g
>
> If I am understanding you correctly, I should be able to define both
> `nnmail-split-methods' and `nnimap-split-methods' /per email/?

Right. I have three email accounts in my
gnus-secondary-select-methods, and each one's rules for
nnmail-split-fancy apply only to that address.

In the example I gave, one of the *other* accounts getting a message
from morgoth@mordorenterprises.org would not necessarily send it to
junk. The only filters that apply are the ones I define for that
specific account.

> In my case, I am using simple (not fancy) but maybe it doesn't
> matter.

I remember really struggling to get it working, but it's been so long
that I don't remember how much I messed around with simple. Fancy
works great, though.

> Thanks a lot for the pointer!  I'll try it and report back how it goes.

You're welcome. Good luck!

-g