* sorry man off-topic
@ 2021-10-22 10:35 Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2021-10-22 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hellow all long time no see

recently i have to make some C lang program

i am new to C lang with perfactly. only i can do printf() hellow world
so i would like to see good book or strong advice for learning C lang
very fast

the program is about input method for korean people using linux. so i
will run gcc and linux desktop such as debian 11 or ubuntu lts.

at comp.lang.c some guy give(advice) me "effective c" as good book. if
there is no advice, i may go with "effective c".

any comments welcome!!

thanks!

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

* Re: sorry man off-topic
@ 2021-10-22 11:00 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2021-10-22 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:

> at comp.lang.c some guy give(advice) me "effective c" as
> good book. if there is no advice, i may go with "effective
> c".
>
> any comments welcome!!

Stay off Usenet if you are sensitive to insults and/or
capricious/old people ...

The "K&R C" book, 1978:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: sorry man off-topic
@ 2021-10-22 11:13   ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2021-10-22 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Gnus

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> The "K&R C" book, 1978:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

Thanks, Emanuel!!!

@ 2021-10-25  7:30   ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2021-10-25  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg writes:

> Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
>
>> at comp.lang.c some guy give(advice) me "effective c" as
>> good book. if there is no advice, i may go with "effective
>> c".
>>
>> any comments welcome!!
>
> Stay off Usenet if you are sensitive to insults and/or
> capricious/old people ...
>
> The "K&R C" book, 1978:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

Not a bad book, of course, but it is severely outdated; in fact the wiki
says that the last edition is from 1988, so maybe the code in the first
one doesn't even compile on modern compilers due to deprecated syntax.

I have not read "Effective C" by Robert C. Seacord, but it's up to date
with the latest C standards, according to the description.

--
Alberto

* Re: sorry man off-topic
@ 2021-10-25  7:35     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2021-10-25  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces wrote:

> Not a bad book, of course, but it is severely outdated; in
> fact the wiki says that the last edition is from 1988, so
> maybe the code in the first one doesn't even compile on
> modern compilers due to deprecated syntax.
>
> I have not read "Effective C" by Robert C. Seacord, but it's
> up to date with the latest C standards, according to
> the description.

Aren't C standards mostly concern with backward
compatibility anyway?

--

@ 2021-10-25  7:37     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2021-10-25  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces wrote:

> I have not read "Effective C" by Robert C. Seacord, but it's
> up to date with the latest C standards, according to
> the description.

Right, but I've heard that the unofficial sequel to that book,
"Inefficient C", had more of a "cult" appeal ...

--

@ 2021-10-25  8:32       ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2021-10-25  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg writes:

> Alberto Luaces wrote:
>
>> Not a bad book, of course, but it is severely outdated; in
>> fact the wiki says that the last edition is from 1988, so
>> maybe the code in the first one doesn't even compile on
>> modern compilers due to deprecated syntax.
>>
>> I have not read "Effective C" by Robert C. Seacord, but it's
>> up to date with the latest C standards, according to
>> the description.
>
> Aren't C standards mostly concern with backward
> compatibility anyway?

For sure, but I guess it is not desirable to write new code or learn to
write it with archaic notation as k&r function declaration, not to
mention the 40 years of improvements on the language that you'd be
skipping.

--
Alberto

* Re: sorry man off-topic
@ 2021-10-25  9:11         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2021-10-25  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces wrote:

>> Aren't C standards mostly concern with backward
>> compatibility anyway?
>
> For sure, but I guess it is not desirable to write new code
> or learn to write it with archaic notation as k&r function
> declaration, not to mention the 40 years of improvements on
> the language that you'd be skipping.

It doesn't work like that, especially not with C ... read it,
beneficial. 100%, trust me

--

@ 2021-10-25 11:16           ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2021-10-25 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg writes:

> Alberto Luaces wrote:
>
>>> Aren't C standards mostly concern with backward
>>> compatibility anyway?
>>
>> For sure, but I guess it is not desirable to write new code
>> or learn to write it with archaic notation as k&r function
>> declaration, not to mention the 40 years of improvements on
>> the language that you'd be skipping.
>
> It doesn't work like that, especially not with C ... read it,
> beneficial. 100%, trust me

I did many years ago, and in fact I quite enjoyed it, but recommending
it nowadays to a newbie is a terrible advice, no offense.

--
Alberto

* Re: sorry man off-topic
@ 2021-10-25 11:51             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2021-10-25 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces wrote:

> I did many years ago, and in fact I quite enjoyed it, but
> recommending it nowadays to a newbie is a terrible advice,
> no offense.

An intro book in C is about the C language which is very easy.
It is possible to learn _without_ a book at age 12, you just
need a text file, an editor, a compiler, and the Internet.

What is difficult OTOH is getting a grip and hold of the
libraries and develop an engineering instinct how to make them
work with your tweaks and adaptations to ultimately solve
a problem or provide a service in a technology setting that
have particular characteristics and attributes even when your
program enters the scene.

So, a "newbie" can read zero, one or _all_ intro books on C,
and the effect of that is a function of the "newbie"'s
cognitive abilities, dedication, and work habits, not on the
quality of the C books, of which there are many that are very
good - and especially that won't ever happen here, since
that's a great book, iconic even, and the C language hasn't
changed much at all (on the contrary, other languages have
adopted its syntax) - so even if that argument made sense,
which it doesn't, it makes even less sense here!

Write code every day, and as for books the more good books you
read the better. That's all there is to it. Be confident and
don't worry about meaningless details e.g. what particular
book to read, what order to do what, what standard may have
changed to a minimal extent from one point to another on the
timeline before you were born, instead have FUN and add VOLUME
every day. V O L U M E while thinking at the same time.

#@$%&!