From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 21:53:49 -0500	[thread overview]

Some of you here will likely be a bit relieved to know that I finally
managed to get something working.

I failed utterly at getting sendmail or postfix or exim4 to get mail
relayed at a Smarthost or smtp relay host.  I mean to say that was
some rough slogging too.

And now I utterly failed to get anywhere dinking around with
smtp.gmail.  But finally I managed to get the smtpmail-send-it code to
work with another mail outfit where I've had creds for several years
even though I was unable to get any of the big 3 mail software to get
relayed thru them.

what finally worked:
      (setq send-mail-function  'smtpmail-send-it
          smtpmail-smtp-server  "smtp.xxxxxxx.com"
          smtpmail-stream-type  'ssl
          smtpmail-smtp-service 465
          user-mail-address "xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com")

So I can finally reach the internet with my email.

One thing I keep pondering though is that, OK, I kind of understand
what happens after mail reaches the relay point or relaying
smtp.server.  But I'm not understanding what gets it that far.

since I broke out on sendmail, postfix and exim4, I have no mta running,
so not clear to me how messages are getting to the smtp.server in the
code above.

Thank you all for putting up with some seriously dim witted questions.