From: "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Gnus wrong message threading
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 11:51:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Kevin writes:

> Two reply messages with no In-Reply-To/References headers linked
> to the wrong parent message, maybe it's a bug with Gnus.

> The two messages' ID are:

The thread looks like this:

   . [  58: Dwayne Henderson       ] Improving the WHOIS format
   .     [  39: Jase Thew              ]
   .         [  48: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .             [  65: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .             [  63: Jase Thew              ]
   .                 [ 176: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                     [ 198: Charles Howard         ]
   .                         [  98: Dylan Thiedeke         ]
   .                     [  38: Marc Hartstein         ]
   .                     [  16: Mark                   ]
   .                     [  25: Jase Thew              ]
   .                         [  80: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                             [  20: Jase Thew              ]
   .                                 [  77: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                             [  45: Marc Hartstein         ]
   .                                 [  76: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                                     [  48: David Romano           ]
   .                     [  25: David Romano           ]
   .     [  78: Charles Howard         ]
 **.     < 107: Tony                   >
   .         [  29: David Romano           ]
   .             [ 143: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                 [ 173: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                 [  73: Tony                   ]
   .                     [  18: David Romano           ]
   .     <  67: David Romano           >
   .         [ 162: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .             [ 123: David Romano           ]
   .                 [ 362: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                     [  93: David Romano           ]
   .                         [ 293: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                             [  59: tabris                 ]
   .                             [  53: David Romano           ]
   .                                 [ 170: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                                     [  30: Marc Hartstein         ]
   .                                         [  60: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                                     [  49: Ross Timson            ]
 **.     <  50: Marra Hemsedal         >
   .         [  14: Timo Sirainen          ]

The two emails you say are threaded wrong I have marked with **.

Where would you have expected them to be linked, when all that connects
them is the Subject, as they have no In-Reply-To/References?

Would you have preferred that they weren't included in the same thread?

If so, you can set gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function to
'gnus-gather-threads-by-references.

If you do that, the summary looks like this:

[...]
   . [  29: Dwayne Henderson       ] Typo in formats
   .     [  51: tabris                 ]
   .         [  44: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .             [  21: David Romano           ]
   .                 [  87: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   . [ 115: Dwayne Henderson       ] Inconsistency in formats
   . [  34: Jonson Paul            ] Ignore join/leave messages but exclude from active users
   .     [  89: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .     [  53: Picilli                ]
   .     [  72: Brandon McCaig         ]
   . [  18: Tim Owen               ] Op notices missing on irssi proxy
 **. [ 107: Tony                   ] Re: Improving the WHOIS format
   .     [  29: David Romano           ]
   .         [ 143: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .             [ 173: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .             [  73: Tony                   ]
   .                 [  18: David Romano           ]
   . [  67: David Romano           ] Re: Improving the WHOIS format
   .     [ 162: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .         [ 123: David Romano           ]
   .             [ 362: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                 [  93: David Romano           ]
   .                     [ 293: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                         [  59: tabris                 ]
   .                         [  53: David Romano           ]
   .                             [ 170: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                                 [  30: Marc Hartstein         ]
   .                                     [  60: Dwayne Henderson       ]
   .                                 [  49: Ross Timson            ]
   . [  34: Francesco de Virgilio  ] How to pass bash variables (passwords) to IRSSI config file?
   .     [  76: Ross Timson            ]
 **. [  50: Marra Hemsedal         ] Re: Improving the WHOIS format
   .     [  14: Timo Sirainen          ]

Again I have marked the two emails with **.

> They are web mailers that don't generate In-Reply-To and References headers.

Really? I'm quite sure that both Gmail and GMX generate In-Reply-To and
Reference headers when you reply to an email.

If Gmail didn't there would have been an uproar.

You are right that those two emails do not have In-Reply-To and
Reference headers, but emails from Gmail and GMX usually do.

Two other emails from the same group illustrate that usually emails from
Gmail and GMX do indeed include References and In-Reply-To:

  From: Tony <abletony84@gmail.com>
  Newsgroups: gmane.network.irc.irssi.user
  Subject: Re: Improving the WHOIS format
  Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 05:05:12 +0100

and:

  From: Franco <franco00@gmx.com>
  Newsgroups: gmane.network.irc.irssi.user
  Subject: Re: right aligning nicks + nickmode
  Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 19:11:06 +0000

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Our hero regains consciousness at the feet of a           Adam Sjøgren
  sarcastic alien..."                                  asjo@koldfront.dk