* Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-20 14:42 Harry Putnam
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-05-20 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[NOTE: this message is probably a duplicate of a previous post where I
forget to include the Image I intended to attach]

I have developed a number of what might be called ghost groups.  Some
(most) are as the result of removing groups behind gnus back. Others,
I'm not sure of their origin.

These groups now appear in gnus -> groups buffer with an asterisk
before them as in the included image below.

They do not respond to simple C-k nor do they respond to C-u G del

How can I get rid of them?

[-- Attachment #2: GnusGroupsView.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 76348 bytes --]

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-20 16:28 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2020-05-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Harry writes:

> How can I get rid of them?

I don't know the correct answer, but I would close down Gnus, take a
backup copy of .newsrc.eld, and then edit it by hand to remove all traces
of me^Wthe unwanted groups.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Der er godt nok ikke flere letmælks-Cultura med           Adam Sjøgren
  banansmag..." "FUCK, FOR HELVEDE, MAND!"             asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-20 16:38 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-05-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

> [NOTE: this message is probably a duplicate of a previous post where I
> forget to include the Image I intended to attach]
>
> I have developed a number of what might be called ghost groups.  Some
> (most) are as the result of removing groups behind gnus back. Others,
> I'm not sure of their origin.
>
> These groups now appear in gnus -> groups buffer with an asterisk
> before them as in the included image below.
>
> They do not respond to simple C-k nor do they respond to C-u G del

Can you tell us the backend of the groups, and also what happens when
you hit C-k? Is there a message of any kind?

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-20 16:48 ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2020-05-20 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On May 20, 2020, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> I have developed a number of what might be called ghost groups.  Some
> (most) are as the result of removing groups behind gnus back. Others,
> I'm not sure of their origin.
>
> These groups now appear in gnus -> groups buffer with an asterisk
> before them as in the included image below.
>
> They do not respond to simple C-k nor do they respond to C-u G del
>
> How can I get rid of them?

Does gnus-group-check-bogus-groups help?  It's bound to `b' in the
*Group* buffer.  For me, it generates an error about a nil select
method, but maybe you'll have better luck...

Dan

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-24 16:32   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-05-24 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> [NOTE: this message is probably a duplicate of a previous post where I
>> forget to include the Image I intended to attach]
>>
>> I have developed a number of what might be called ghost groups.  Some
>> (most) are as the result of removing groups behind gnus back. Others,
>> I'm not sure of their origin.
>>
>> These groups now appear in gnus -> groups buffer with an asterisk
>> before them as in the included image below.
>>
>> They do not respond to simple C-k nor do they respond to C-u G del
>
> Can you tell us the backend of the groups, and also what happens when
> you hit C-k? Is there a message of any kind?

When I hit C-k  the pointer goes into `working' mode and never
returns.  When I force it with C-g all but one nntp group disappears
and I have to press `l' to get the full setup back

checking the Messages-buffer it only shows

   *beep*
    Quit

The vast majority of ghosts are nnimap but there are a few nnml ghosts
too.

Either backend shows the same result as above.

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-24 16:36   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-05-24 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> On May 20, 2020, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I have developed a number of what might be called ghost groups.  Some
>> (most) are as the result of removing groups behind gnus back. Others,
>> I'm not sure of their origin.
>>
>> These groups now appear in gnus -> groups buffer with an asterisk
>> before them as in the included image below.
>>
>> They do not respond to simple C-k nor do they respond to C-u G del
>>
>> How can I get rid of them?
>
> Does gnus-group-check-bogus-groups help?  It's bound to `b' in the
> *Group* buffer.  For me, it generates an error about a nil select
> method, but maybe you'll have better luck...

For me, when I press `b' I see `checking bogus newsgroups' and the
pointer goes into eternal `working' mode.   When forced with
C-g... the messages-buffer shows:

  Checking bogus newsgroups...
  *beep*
   Quit

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-24 16:38   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-05-24 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Harry writes:
>
>> How can I get rid of them?
>
> I don't know the correct answer, but I would close down Gnus, take a
> backup copy of .newsrc.eld, and then edit it by hand to remove all traces
> of me^Wthe unwanted groups.

That was my first thought too. However I am a bit dim-witted and badly
fat fingered as well. . . So was hoping for some kind of complicated
key-press solution.

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-24 21:43     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-05-24 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>>
>>> [NOTE: this message is probably a duplicate of a previous post where I
>>> forget to include the Image I intended to attach]
>>>
>>> I have developed a number of what might be called ghost groups.  Some
>>> (most) are as the result of removing groups behind gnus back. Others,
>>> I'm not sure of their origin.
>>>
>>> These groups now appear in gnus -> groups buffer with an asterisk
>>> before them as in the included image below.
>>>
>>> They do not respond to simple C-k nor do they respond to C-u G del
>>
>> Can you tell us the backend of the groups, and also what happens when
>> you hit C-k? Is there a message of any kind?
>
> When I hit C-k  the pointer goes into `working' mode and never
> returns.  When I force it with C-g all but one nntp group disappears
> and I have to press `l' to get the full setup back
>
> checking the Messages-buffer it only shows
>
>    *beep*
>     Quit

Can you `toggle-debug-on-quit', do it again, and post the backtrace?

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-27 16:31       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-05-27 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>>> Can you tell us the backend of the groups, and also what happens when
>>> you hit C-k? Is there a message of any kind?
>>
>> When I hit C-k  the pointer goes into `working' mode and never
>> returns.  When I force it with C-g all but one nntp group disappears
>> and I have to press `l' to get the full setup back
>>
>> checking the Messages-buffer it only shows
>>
>>    *beep*
>>     Quit
>
> Can you `toggle-debug-on-quit', do it again, and post the backtrace?

Sorry for making you work too hard to help. I should have included
backtraces from the start ...

Included below:
Backtrace from quiting with C-k on nnml and nnimap.  Also backtrace
from quitting  on C-u G <bkspc> on nnimap

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

Backtrace from nnml group with C-k . . .  followed by C-g

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
  gnus-group-goto-group("nnml: AdamSj\303\270gren")
  gnus-topic-change-level("nnml: AdamSj\303\270gren" 9 3 nil)
  gnus-group-change-level((nil ("nnml: AdamSj\303\270gren" 3 nil nil "nnml:")) 9 nil)
  gnus-group-kill-group(nil nil)
  gnus-topic-kill-group(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-topic-kill-group nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-kill-group nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-topic-kill-group)

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

Backtrace from nnimap group with C-k . . .  followed by C-g

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
  gnus-group-goto-group("nnimap+hput3:INBOX.Gas-South")
  gnus-topic-change-level("nnimap+hput3:INBOX.Gas-South" 9 3 nil)
  gnus-group-change-level((nil ("nnimap+hput3:INBOX.Gas-South" 3 ((1 . 2)) ((unexist)) "nnimap:hput3" ((modseq . "37742") (uidvalidity . "1495544836") (active 1 . 2) (permanent-flags %Answered %Flagged %Draft %Deleted %Seen $X-ME-Annot-2 $IsMailingList $IsNotification $HasAttachment $HasTD %*)))) 9 nil)
  gnus-group-kill-group(nil nil)
  gnus-topic-kill-group(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-topic-kill-group nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-kill-group nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-topic-kill-group)

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

Backtrace from C-u G <bkspc> on  nnimap group followed by C-g

Debugger entered: ("Quit")
  nnimap-wait-for-response(93)
  nnimap-get-response(93)
  nnimap-command("DELETE %S" "INBOX.lists")
  nnimap-request-delete-group("INBOX.lists" (4) "hput3")
  gnus-request-delete-group("nnimap+hput3:INBOX.lists" (4))
  gnus-group-delete-group("nnimap+hput3:INBOX.lists" (4))
  funcall-interactively(gnus-group-delete-group "nnimap+hput3:INBOX.lists" (4))
  call-interactively(gnus-group-delete-group nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-group-delete-group)

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-27 22:03         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-05-27 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:

>>> When I hit C-k  the pointer goes into `working' mode and never
>>> returns.  When I force it with C-g all but one nntp group disappears
>>> and I have to press `l' to get the full setup back
>>>
>>> checking the Messages-buffer it only shows
>>>
>>>    *beep*
>>>     Quit
>>
>> Can you `toggle-debug-on-quit', do it again, and post the backtrace?
>
> Sorry for making you work too hard to help. I should have included
> backtraces from the start ...

And I should have asked -- also your Emacs version, as that's relevant.

> Included below:
> Backtrace from quiting with C-k on nnml and nnimap.  Also backtrace
> from quitting  on C-u G <bkspc> on nnimap
>
> -------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
>
> Backtrace from nnml group with C-k . . .  followed by C-g
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
>   gnus-group-goto-group("nnml: AdamSj\303\270gren")

This makes me think you're using an Emacs/Gnus from before my hash-table
changes (six months or so ago?), as the group strings should always be
fully decoded strings (ie there shouldn't be the escapes in the group
name). IIRC, `gnus-group-goto-group' can sometimes enter an infloop if
it can't find the group (which is a bug).

>   gnus-topic-change-level("nnml: AdamSj\303\270gren" 9 3 nil)
>   gnus-group-change-level((nil ("nnml: AdamSj\303\270gren" 3 nil nil "nnml:")) 9 nil)
>   gnus-group-kill-group(nil nil)
>   gnus-topic-kill-group(nil)
>   funcall-interactively(gnus-topic-kill-group nil)
>   call-interactively(gnus-topic-kill-group nil nil)
>   command-execute(gnus-topic-kill-group)
>
> -------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
>
> Backtrace from nnimap group with C-k . . .  followed by C-g
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
>   gnus-group-goto-group("nnimap+hput3:INBOX.Gas-South")

That doesn't really explain why this would infloop, though, as the group
name is not multibyte.

>   gnus-topic-change-level("nnimap+hput3:INBOX.Gas-South" 9 3 nil)
>   gnus-group-change-level((nil ("nnimap+hput3:INBOX.Gas-South" 3 ((1 .
> 2)) ((unexist)) "nnimap:hput3" ((modseq . "37742") (uidvalidity .
> "1495544836") (active 1 . 2) (permanent-flags %Answered %Flagged
> %Draft %Deleted %Seen $X-ME-Annot-2 $IsMailingList $IsNotification
> $HasAttachment $HasTD %*)))) 9 nil)
>   gnus-group-kill-group(nil nil)
>   gnus-topic-kill-group(nil)
>   funcall-interactively(gnus-topic-kill-group nil)
>   call-interactively(gnus-topic-kill-group nil nil)
>   command-execute(gnus-topic-kill-group)
>
> -------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
>
> Backtrace from C-u G <bkspc> on  nnimap group followed by C-g
>
> Debugger entered: ("Quit")
>   nnimap-wait-for-response(93)

This appears to be a completely different problem? At least, I can't
immediately think of why it would be related to the two errors above.
Let's put this one aside until we figure out the previous issue.

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-05-30 18:04           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-05-30 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

>> Sorry for making you work too hard to help. I should have included
>> backtraces from the start ...
>
> And I should have asked -- also your Emacs version, as that's relevant.

[...]

Gnus v5.13

I will build from most recent sources and report

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-06-01 16:43             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-06-01 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Sorry for making you work too hard to help. I should have included
>>> backtraces from the start ...
>>
>> And I should have asked -- also your Emacs version, as that's relevant.
>
> [...]
>
> Gnus v5.13
>
> I will build from most recent sources and report

Yippee !! my troubles are over.  I built emacs off May 31 sources.

The gnus version still says `Gnus v5.13' but the emacs version has
gone from 27.0.50 to 28.0.50

Starting the new gnus and attempting C-k on the ghostish groups. . just
works .. no fanfare or baloney... C-k `group' done.

Thanks for guidance and help.

* Re: Remove Ghost groups
@ 2020-06-01 17:21               ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-06-01 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> And I should have asked -- also your Emacs version, as that's relevant.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Gnus v5.13
>>
>> I will build from most recent sources and report
>
> Yippee !! my troubles are over.  I built emacs off May 31 sources.
>
> The gnus version still says `Gnus v5.13' but the emacs version has
> gone from 27.0.50 to 28.0.50

Yes, the Gnus version number hasn't budged in a while. In hindsight, I
probably should have ticked it up after the obarray-to-hashtable change,
if only to help with bug-report triage.

> Starting the new gnus and attempting C-k on the ghostish groups. . just
> works .. no fanfare or baloney... C-k `group' done.

Good, that's what I was hoping. Glad it got sorted!

* Remove ghost groups
@ 2020-05-20 14:38 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-05-20 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have developed a number of what might be called ghost groups.  Some
(most) are as the result of removing groups behind gnus back.

These groups now appear in gnus -> groups buffer with an asterisk
before them as in the included image below.

The do not respond to simple C-k nor do they respond to C-u G del

@ 2020-05-20 13:59 Harry Putnam