From: David Engster <deng@randomsample.de>
To: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: A new open email standard: https://jmap.io/
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 20:46:08 +0100	[thread overview]

>>>   https://fastmail.blog/2019/08/16/jmap-new-email-open-standard/
>>>   https://jmap.io/
>>
>> They try to establish this for many years now, but I don't see it
>> taking off. It surely has nice features for mobile users, but people
>> use messengers there anyway. For Gnus, I don't think you'd notice much
>> difference over IMAP.  But first they would have to get this into an
>> actual popular IMAP server (meaning: Dovecot).  Until then, this is
>> pretty much a Fastmail-only thing.
>
> Cyrus 3.0.0 to 3.0.5 supported some earlier draft but the support was
> removed with 3.0.6 because the spec evolved too rapidly for a stable
> version.  But the docs say that the development version supports the
> current JMAP version.
>
>   https://cyrusimap.org/imap/developer/jmap.html

I know. FastMail uses Cyrus and they have also pretty much adopted the
whole project since Carnegie Mellon Uni switched to Exchange and GMail,
so it's pretty much given that it always supports latest JMAP. But if
you need a pure IMAP server, Dovecot is usually the first choice
nowadays, so if they want JMAP to succeed, they *really* need to get
this in there. I know they're working on this, but I'm guessing it's not
easy getting code into Dovecot.

-David