From: "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Converting TOFU into something less unreasonable
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 14:19:54 +0100	[thread overview]

Eric writes:

> On Thursday,  3 Jan 2019 at 06:38, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

>> Also, the excuse I usually hear for doing fullquotes is "then the
>> conversation can be forwarded to someone easily, including the
>> context".
>
> A lazy excuse that has also been used on me.  I do wonder if anybody
> that uses this excuse has ever actually tried to read a conversation
> consisting of top posted messages?  It's an up&down back&forth scrolling
> nightmare.

If everybody does TOFU, you just read from the bottom to the top.

I think the valid point they have is that you can only get the entire
history if the person who forwards the emails has been in on the
conversation from the beginning, and that person has to forward all the
emails, not just the latest.

That will still be fixed by quoting, trimming and answering below - but
not by skipping quotes altogether.

I really like Tom Lanes explanation:

  "It's about having minimal courtesy to your readers by not forcing
   them to re-read stuff they just read."

    - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/18450.1518845005%40sss.pgh.pa.us

> I will not and do not top post.  I extract whatever is necessary and
> reply below.  One of my colleagues complained to me that my emails
> didn't have sufficient context.  Turns out he didn't know he would show
> threads in his MUA...

I've had people think I forgot to write anything, because they could not
see my reply before the quoted text.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "If you don't run, you rust."                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk