* Current version, Opening HTML mails in browser
@ 2017-08-17 19:36 Felix Natter
From: Felix Natter @ 2017-08-17 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hello Gnus experts,

is there a list of the stable releases (gnus.org is a bit silent about
that)?
I am currently using mgnus-0.6-201304121517.

Secondly, I'd like to revive the function for opening an HTML mail in
Firefox. I have used this:

(defun my-gnus-summary-view-html-alternative-in-firefox ()
  "Display the HTML part of the current multipart/alternative MIME message
    in mozilla."
  (interactive)
  (save-current-buffer
    (gnus-summary-show-article)
    (set-buffer gnus-article-buffer)
    (let ((file (make-temp-file "html-message-" nil ".html"))
          (handle (nth 3 (assq 1 gnus-article-mime-handle-alist))))
      (mm-save-part-to-file handle file)
      (browse-url-firefox (concat "file://" file)))))

(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map [?K ?M]
  'my-gnus-summary-view-html-alternative-in-firefox)

But with many mails I get:
mm-save-part-to-file: Wrong type argument: listp, quoted-printable

Does somebody have a more robust solution, maybe in a newer stable
release?

Many Thanks and Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter

* Re: Current version, Opening HTML mails in browser
@ 2017-09-17 19:10 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-09-17 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Felix writes:

> is there a list of the stable releases (gnus.org is a bit silent about
> that)?
> I am currently using mgnus-0.6-201304121517.

Gnus is developed within the GNU Emacs git repository these days, and is
released along with GNU Emacs.

The version you are using is thus somewhat old.

The way to run the latest stable release is to install the latest stable
GNU Emacs (25.3 currently).

The way to run the bleeding edge is to run GNU Emacs from the
development repository¹.

> Secondly, I'd like to revive the function for opening an HTML mail in
> Firefox.

I use K H (which runs gnus-article-browse-html-article), works fine for
me.

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹ https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2014/11/13/welcome-new-emacs-developers/

--
 "I came from a household that showed as much                 Adam Sjøgren
  knowledge or interest in sport as hedgehogs show in    asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Current version, Opening HTML mails in browser
@ 2017-09-24  7:17   ` Felix Natter
From: Felix Natter @ 2017-09-24  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

hello Adam,

> Felix writes:
>
>> is there a list of the stable releases (gnus.org is a bit silent about
>> that)?
>> I am currently using mgnus-0.6-201304121517.
>
> Gnus is developed within the GNU Emacs git repository these days, and is
> released along with GNU Emacs.
>
> The version you are using is thus somewhat old.
>
> The way to run the latest stable release is to install the latest stable
> GNU Emacs (25.3 currently).
>
> The way to run the bleeding edge is to run GNU Emacs from the
> development repository¹.

Thanks, now I am running Gnus-5.13 :-)

>> Secondly, I'd like to revive the function for opening an HTML mail in
>> Firefox.
>
> I use K H (which runs gnus-article-browse-html-article), works fine for
> me.

In my configuration, this creates a working HTML:
Wrote /tmp/mm-3420ojm.html

but it does not trigger the browser.

This is probably because by default, I render HTML inline
(I need "K H" for viewing HTML with inline images):

(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m
      w3m-coding-system 'utf-8
      w3m-file-coding-system 'utf-8
      w3m-file-name-coding-system 'utf-8
      w3m-input-coding-system 'utf-8
      w3m-output-coding-system 'utf-8
      w3m-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8
      w3m-toggle-inline-images t
      w3m-default-display-inline-images t)

C-h f gnus-article-browse-html-article says:

If you always want to display HTML parts in the browser, set
‘mm-text-html-renderer’ to nil.

But I want it only for some emails with inlineimages.

Any idea?

Many Thanks and Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter
debian/rules!

* Re: Current version, Opening HTML mails in browser
@ 2017-09-24 10:01     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-09-24 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Felix writes:

>> I use K H (which runs gnus-article-browse-html-article), works fine for
>> me.

> In my configuration, this creates a working HTML:
> Wrote /tmp/mm-3420ojm.html
>
> but it does not trigger the browser.
>
> This is probably because by default, I render HTML inline
> (I need "K H" for viewing HTML with inline images):

Uhm, so do I, but I don't use K H to render inline images.

> (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m

I would recommend trying the built in, default renderer, shr. It's good
and fast.

> Any idea?

This is what I have got configured:

  ; Show images in HTML:
  (setq mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp nil
        mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)

In my custom settings I have:

  '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-firefox))
  '(browse-url-firefox-new-window-is-tab t)

I'm guessing the first here is what you need.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Language design is being taken over by hackers. The         Adam Sjøgren
  results so far are messy, but encouraging."            asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Current version, Opening HTML mails in browser
@ 2017-09-24 15:21       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-09-24 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Felix writes:
>
>>> I use K H (which runs gnus-article-browse-html-article), works fine for
>>> me.
>
>> In my configuration, this creates a working HTML:
>> Wrote /tmp/mm-3420ojm.html
>>
>> but it does not trigger the browser.
>>
>> This is probably because by default, I render HTML inline
>> (I need "K H" for viewing HTML with inline images):
>
> Uhm, so do I, but I don't use K H to render inline images.
>
>> (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m
>
> I would recommend trying the built in, default renderer, shr. It's good
> and fast.
>
>> Any idea?
>
> This is what I have got configured:
>
>   ; Show images in HTML:
>   (setq mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp nil
>         mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)

Just a heads up, this last option seems to be gone as of 0a4c102a, in
February of this year. It looks like now we should be working with
`mm-html-blocked-images' and `mm-html-inhibit-images'.

Eric