From: Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Couldn't store article in group
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 23:13:18 +0100	[thread overview]

Thank you, Lars, for your interest.  Now that I live in France
this particular issue can be quite annoying...

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:
>
>> I've been able to narrow down my problem quite a bit: Messages
>> do
>> not get stored whenever the subject contains non-ASCII
>> characters,
>> e.g. the UTF opening quote character (“) or accented
>> characters.
>>
>> In *Messages* the following line appears:
>> Couldn't store article in group nnimap+cwg:2014: ((BAD Error in
>> IMAP
>> command APPEND: Invalid arguments.))
>>
>> The email, however, is sent correctly.  It’s only the storing
>> that
>> fails.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to debug this further?
>
> Try setting `nnimap-record-commands' and look in the *imap log*
> buffer
> after one of these errors.  That will tell us what commands
> nnimap is
> sending to the server.

I tried, this is what gets added to *imap log* when a message
fails to be stored:

22:59:56 [cwg] 597 SELECT "2015"
22:59:57 [cwg] 598 APPEND "2015" {1372}

At the same time the following appears in *Messages*:

Couldn't store article in group nnimap+cwg:2015: ((BAD Error in
IMAP command APPEND: Invalid arguments.))

On the other hand, when a message is stored without problems, the
following
gets added to *imap log*:

22:56:14 [cwg] 496 SELECT "2015"
22:56:14 [cwg] 497 APPEND "2015" {1381}
22:56:14 [cwg] 498 SELECT "2015"
22:56:14 [cwg] 499 UID FETCH 1:* FLAGS
22:56:14 [cwg] 500 SELECT "2015"
22:56:14 [cwg] 501 UID STORE 177 +FLAGS.SILENT (\Seen)

Not sure whether this is of much help.  Please let me know if you
have
other ideas.

Another observation:
I noticed the problem only ever with subjects that contain
non-ASCII characters.
It can be reproduced with certain subjects (e.g. "C’est déjà
tard").  On the
other hand, some subjects (e.g. "déjà vu") do not seem to trigger
the error.

Christoph