* encrypted nnfolders (~/Mail/privatemail.gpg)
@ 2014-09-22 13:40 anders.vinjar
From: anders.vinjar @ 2014-09-22 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi there.

Im looking for a way to use pgp-encrypted local mailboxes transparently
(eg. through easypg) inside gnus.

Ie. having a file ~/Mail/secretmail.gpg, subscribing to it using
nnfolder, accessing and working on the decrypted content in gnus.

Preferably leaving the stored file content encrypted on disk all the
time, but its ok if its encrypted on saving the group.

Anyone know ways to achieve this?

Thanks for all hints.

-anders

* Re: encrypted nnfolders (~/Mail/privatemail.gpg)
@ 2014-09-22 18:28 ` Grim Schjetne
From: Grim Schjetne @ 2014-09-22 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anders.vinjar; +Cc: ding

anders.vinjar@bek.no writes:

> Im looking for a way to use pgp-encrypted local mailboxes transparently
> (eg. through easypg) inside gnus.
>
> Ie. having a file ~/Mail/secretmail.gpg, subscribing to it using
> nnfolder, accessing and working on the decrypted content in gnus.
>
> Preferably leaving the stored file content encrypted on disk all the
> time, but its ok if its encrypted on saving the group.

Does it have to be PGP? The easiest would be to just put ~/Mail on an
encrypted partition, if you don't want to encrypt your whole disk (which
I would recommend doing anyway). Then it would be encrypted at the block
level, completely transparent to Gnus or any other program that might
access it. I use LVM and LUKS for this.

--G

* Re: encrypted nnfolders (~/Mail/privatemail.gpg)
@ 2014-09-22 20:05   ` anders.vinjar
From: anders.vinjar @ 2014-09-22 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Grim.  Thanks for the suggestions.

    G> The easiest would be to just put ~/Mail on an encrypted
    G> partition, if you don't want to encrypt your whole disk (which I
    G> would recommend doing anyway).

Yes, that would make it easy indeed.

But for various reasons I'd prefer this one done at file-level.  And
gnupg would be the preferred way.

Im guessing its not too complicated, adjusting the nnfolder method to
handle .gpg extensions or stamping some info into the group's
parameters.

@ 2014-09-23  7:29 ` anders.vinjar
From: anders.vinjar @ 2014-09-23  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    a> Hi there.  Im looking for a way to use pgp-encrypted local
    a> mailboxes transparently (eg. through easypg) inside gnus.

Turns out this 'just works' :-)

 (setq nnmail-use-long-file-names t)

and subscribing to e.g nnfolder+PRIVATE:secretmail.gpg, and
encryption/decryption works transparently with EasyPG.

Setting nnfolder-nov-is-evil in the server variables for
nnfolder+PRIVATE gets rid of the headers-database for this server only.

-anders