From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: weird results when setting gnus-parameters
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 16:01:11 +0200	[thread overview]

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>>> Ok, I'll just get the git version and go with that. There's not much
>>> point in being so lazy ... :)
>>
>> Ok I have the git version now :) Two problems:
>>
>> How do I get bbdb to work with it?
>
> Sorry, I don't use it.  If you get an error, what is it?

It cannot be found. The load-path is set correctly to the emacs24
directories under /usr/local, and I've had "(require 'bbdb)" in my
~/.emacs. There are files apparently having to do with bbdb among those
"make install" puts under /usr/local, yet there is no file "bbdb.el" or
"bbdb.elc". --- I still have emacs23 installed, which comes with bbdb
(as in /usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb.el etc.).

So I guess bbdb isn't part of emacs. I pulled bbdb from the git
repository, and the documentation that comes with it says you need
something like "(require 'bbdb-loaddefs "/path/to/bbdb-loaddefs.el")" in
your ~/.emacs to enable it. --- I put that in, and it's working
now. It's a makeshift solution, though, because I have bbdb in my home
directory rather than /usr/local/share because I'm not sure where it
should actually be when it's under /usr/local.

The info docs of gnus still say "(require 'bbdb)", btw. Perhaps they
need an update?

>> The gnus-compile function in my ~/.gnus doesn't seem to exist
>> anymore. The debug window comes up and says it's a void function. Has
>> it been removed?
>
> Yes, it has been removed.  Benchmarking showed that byte-compilation of
> ~/.gnus doesn't speed up things anyway.

Cool --- and thanks for all your help :)

--
http://www.asciiribbon.org/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855