* Localized rescan (M-g)
@ 2011-07-03 22:53 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-07-03 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

In my setup I notice that whenever I do a localized rescan on a single
group gnus scrolls to the next group on completion.

That doesn't make much sense does it?   Even if you run localized
rescan on a number of groups at once, what are the chances you'll want
to immediately scroll away from the one under the cursor?

Pretty slim is my guess, and most especially unlikely in the case of
single group rescan.

Is that something I can stop by some variable or setting?

Its a very minor bitch but seems like it should not do that by
default.

* Re: Localized rescan (M-g)
@ 2011-07-04  9:55 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-07-04  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> In my setup I notice that whenever I do a localized rescan on a single
> group gnus scrolls to the next group on completion.

> That doesn't make much sense does it?  Even if you run localized
> rescan on a number of groups at once, what are the chances you'll want
> to immediately scroll away from the one under the cursor?

> Pretty slim is my guess, and most especially unlikely in the case of
> single group rescan.

I agree.  If I do `M-g' on a group, the likelyhood is that I want to
enter that particular group and see the new articles there.

If I want to do `M-g' on a lot of groups, I could something like this:
 C-x ( M-g C-n C-x )
and then
 C-u some-number C-x e
to update the groups.

* Re: Localized rescan (M-g)
@ 2011-07-04 16:57 ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2011-07-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

HP> In my setup I notice that whenever I do a localized rescan on a
HP> single group gnus scrolls to the next group on completion.

HP> That doesn't make much sense does it?

I find that I repeat M-g to update a block of groups quite frequently.

A quick look at the source for gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group
led me to the variable gnus-goto-next-group-when-activating:

,----[ C-h v gnus-goto-next-group-when-activating RET ]
| gnus-goto-next-group-when-activating is a variable defined in `gnus-group.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, the M-g command will advance point to the next group.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]
`----

So, customize that to null if you do not want M-g to go the the next group.

(I ran C-h k M-g in the *Group* buffer to get the help for the M-g command,
moved to point to the underlined _gnus-group.el_ in the resulting *Help*
buffer.  That opened gnus-group.el with point at the start of the function
gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group.  I then scrolled to the end of that
function to see whether the point move was conditionalized, where I found
gnus-goto-next-group-when-activating.  C-h v gave the above info.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: Localized rescan (M-g)
@ 2011-07-05 13:48   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-07-05 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

[...]

> A quick look at the source for gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group
> led me to the variable gnus-goto-next-group-when-activating:

Good detective work... thanks.

* Re: Localized rescan (M-g)
@ 2011-07-05 13:48   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-07-05 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> If I want to do `M-g' on a lot of groups, I could something like this:
>  C-x ( M-g C-n C-x )
> and then
>  C-u some-number C-x e
> to update the groups.