* matched messages message
@ 2011-06-12 19:06 prad
From: prad @ 2011-06-12 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

when i 'g' to refresh i get the usual correspondence in the mini-buffer.
i've been getting a

matched 260 messages

the past several days.

a few weeks ago it used to be

matched 55 messages

meaning of this is what?

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: matched messages message
@ 2011-06-12 19:55 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-06-12 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

'prad' writes:
> when i 'g' to refresh i get the usual correspondence in the mini-buffer.
> i've been getting a
>
> matched 260 messages
>
> the past several days.
>
> a few weeks ago it used to be
>
> matched 55 messages
>

> meaning of this is what?

My crystal ball says you have a nnmairix group somewhere. Put it on
group level 5 or delete it if you don't need it.

-David

* Re: matched messages message
@ 2011-06-12 21:24   ` prad
From: prad @ 2011-06-12 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> My crystal ball says you have a nnmairix group somewhere. Put it on
> group level 5 or delete it if you don't need it.

hey thx david!
i deleted it and then got it back with nnmairix-create-server...

now i'll look into this level business - one of those things i've been
meaning to learn, but never got around to it yet.

--

@ 2011-06-12 22:30     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-06-12 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

'prad' writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>> My crystal ball says you have a nnmairix group somewhere. Put it on
>> group level 5 or delete it if you don't need it.
>>
> hey thx david!
> i deleted it and then got it back with nnmairix-create-server...
>
> now i'll look into this level business - one of those things i've been
> meaning to learn, but never got around to it yet.

Easy: When you press 'g', the default is to check all groups with group
level 3 or lower. So if you do 'S l 4' on the nnmairix group, it
shouldn't get automatically checked when you press 'g'. To later check
that group for new messages, you can then either do 'M-g' on it, or you
do '4 g' to check all groups with group level 4 or lower.

-David

* Re: matched messages message
@ 2011-06-13  2:54       ` prad
From: prad @ 2011-06-13  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

>> now i'll look into this level business - one of those things i've been
>> meaning to learn, but never got around to it yet.
>
> Easy: When you press 'g', the default is to check all groups with group
> level 3 or lower. So if you do 'S l 4' on the nnmairix group, it
> shouldn't get automatically checked when you press 'g'. To later check
> that group for new messages, you can then either do 'M-g' on it, or you
> do '4 g' to check all groups with group level 4 or lower.

excellent! i read up on it too here (and of course in the manual C-c
TAB):
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Group-Levels.html

now i just have to figure out a sensible way to use this feature - i've
been treating gnus rather one-dimensionally since starting with it a few
months ago.

what i don't quite understand though is what nnmairix was actually doing
with the
matched 260 messages

was it just reporting on a query i'd done?
was it trying to do the same match each time i did 'g'? that might
explain why things slowed down a bit, perhaps?

--
in friendship,
prad