* Missing nntp-request-create-group message when sending emails
@ 2008-06-17  9:25 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2008-06-17  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I get the following message sometimes when replying to nnimap messages
 gnus-get-function: No such function: nntp-request-create-group

The message still goes out, but something goes wrong, because the
message responded to isn't marked with an A, and instead of showing the
summary buffer and an article below it, it shows the article as if it
hadn't been sent.

I'll try updating from CVS, and see if that helps, and if it doesn't,
set to trigger on errors, and see if I can get a stack trace.

Nothing critical, I just thought it strange that a nntp method popped up
inside there.

Here are the *Messages* leading up to the error:

Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending...done
gnus-get-function: No such function: nntp-request-create-group

* Re: Missing nntp-request-create-group message when sending emails
@ 2008-06-18  5:33 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2008-06-18  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I get the following message sometimes when replying to nnimap messages
>  gnus-get-function: No such function: nntp-request-create-group

> The message still goes out, but something goes wrong, because the
> message responded to isn't marked with an A, and instead of showing the
> summary buffer and an article below it, it shows the article as if it
> hadn't been sent.

> I'll try updating from CVS, and see if that helps, and if it doesn't,
> set to trigger on errors, and see if I can get a stack trace.

It happened with the current CVS as well, so I've done
 (setq debug-on-error t)
and am waiting for it to happen again.

* Re: Missing nntp-request-create-group message when sending emails
@ 2008-06-18  8:13   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2008-06-18  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I get the following message sometimes when replying to nnimap messages
>> gnus-get-function: No such function: nntp-request-create-group

>> The message still goes out, but something goes wrong, because the
>> message responded to isn't marked with an A, and instead of showing the
>> summary buffer and an article below it, it shows the article as if it
>> hadn't been sent.

>> I'll try updating from CVS, and see if that helps, and if it doesn't,
>> set to trigger on errors, and see if I can get a stack trace.

> It happened with the current CVS as well, so I've done
>  (setq debug-on-error t)
> and am waiting for it to happen again.

Here's the stack trace:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No such function: nntp-request-create-group")
  signal(error ("No such function: nntp-request-create-group"))
  error("No such function: %s" nntp-request-create-group)
  gnus-get-function((nntp "news" (nntp-address "nntp.dod.no")) request-create-group)
  gnus-request-create-group("Deleted Items")
  nnmail-expiry-target-group("Deleted Items" "drafts")
  nnmh-request-expire-articles((104) "drafts" nil t)
  apply(nnmh-request-expire-articles ((104) "drafts" nil t))
  nnoo-parent-function(nndraft nnmh-request-expire-articles ((104) "drafts" nil t))
  nndraft-request-expire-articles((104) "drafts" nil t)
  message-disassociate-draft()
  message-send(nil)
  message-send-and-exit(nil)
  call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)

This explains two other effects I've seen:
 - There's always a copy stored in the drafts folder after the error
 - It seems to have been happening with messages that have been a while
   being edited, and not ones that have been quickly created and sent
   (it's been happening to autosaved messages)

I've found a way to reproduce it consistently: just save the message
before sending.

There was also an annoying side effect from the debugging.  After the
stack trace I could no longer reply to messages.  All I got was
 nndraft-open-server: Wrong type argument: stringp, nndraft-directory
in the mini-buffer.

Stopping Gnus and restarting, just caused the message to appear during
startup, and Gnus never to start properly.

* Re: Missing nntp-request-create-group message when sending emails
@ 2008-06-18  8:23     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2008-06-18  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Here's the stack trace:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No such function: nntp-request-create-group")
>   signal(error ("No such function: nntp-request-create-group"))
>   error("No such function: %s" nntp-request-create-group)
>   gnus-get-function((nntp "news" (nntp-address "nntp.dod.no")) request-create-group)
>   gnus-request-create-group("Deleted Items")
>   nnmail-expiry-target-group("Deleted Items" "drafts")
>   nnmh-request-expire-articles((104) "drafts" nil t)
>   apply(nnmh-request-expire-articles ((104) "drafts" nil t))
>   nnoo-parent-function(nndraft nnmh-request-expire-articles ((104) "drafts" nil t))
>   nndraft-request-expire-articles((104) "drafts" nil t)
>   message-disassociate-draft()
>   message-send(nil)

If I'm to guess, the above looks like, that when deleting the draft, it
ends up trying to expire articles in some non-existing folders, and then
it tries to create those folders on the primary server, which, being an
NNTP server, doesn't allow it.

So the questions are:
 1. why does deleting a draft attempt to expire articles on the primary
    server
 2. why does expiring articles try to create a new folder (sounds like a
    very bad idea in all circumstances)

I also think I see where the "Deleted Items" comes from.  It's in the
secondary select method for an nnimap Exchange server:
	(nnimap "work"
		(nnimap-address "exchange.work.com")
                (nnmail-expiry-target "Deleted Items"))

Appearently nnmail-expiry-target isn't server local.  It really should
be, since expiring to a folder is something I'd really only do if that's
what the server, and other clients on the server expects.

@ 2008-08-08 11:32       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2008-08-08 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I also think I see where the "Deleted Items" comes from.  It's in the
> secondary select method for an nnimap Exchange server:
> 	(nnimap "work"
> 		(nnimap-address "exchange.work.com")
>               (nnmail-expiry-target "Deleted Items"))

Just another data point: removing the nnmail-expiry-target from the
above nnimap server, removed the posting problem.