* gnus-summary-kill-thread should also do gnus-summary-limit-to-unread
@ 2008-05-11  1:17 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-05-11  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

  k runs the command gnus-summary-kill-thread
However, maybe it also should do
  x runs the command gnus-summary-limit-to-unread
as when one nears the bottom of the buffer, it becomes very
uncomfortable killing a thread you don't know the full magnitude of.

Yes, in gnus-summary-line-format one can use
  %t   Number of articles under the current thread (number).
but the feeling isn't the same.

* Re: gnus-summary-kill-thread should also do gnus-summary-limit-to-unread
@ 2008-05-11 10:44 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-05-11 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, May 11 2008, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

>   k runs the command gnus-summary-kill-thread
> However, maybe it also should do
>   x runs the command gnus-summary-limit-to-unread

No, these are two different tasks.  When I type `k' I don't want read
articles in other threads be hidden.

> as when one nears the bottom of the buffer, it becomes very
> uncomfortable killing a thread you don't know the full magnitude of.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-summary-kill-thread should also do gnus-summary-limit-to-unread
@ 2008-05-12 14:51 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-05-12 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

On Sun, 11 May 2008 09:17:34 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

j>   k runs the command gnus-summary-kill-thread
j> However, maybe it also should do
j>   x runs the command gnus-summary-limit-to-unread
j> as when one nears the bottom of the buffer, it becomes very
j> uncomfortable killing a thread you don't know the full magnitude of.

j> Yes, in gnus-summary-line-format one can use
j>   %t   Number of articles under the current thread (number).
j> but the feeling isn't the same.

It's possible to set that up for yourself: write a function that calls
both with the same universal-prefix.

I like to see articles I've killed.  Sometimes I kill the wrong thread
and it's good to see that before it disappears.  In general, Gnus'
philosophy seems to be "keep articles in the summary buffer as long as
possible."

Ted

* Re: gnus-summary-kill-thread should also do gnus-summary-limit-to-unread
@ 2008-05-15  0:46   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-05-15  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Anyway, try this experiment: go to a newsgroup full of boring articles
and type d d d d ... (gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward) note that the
view doesn't jerk up until we've d'ed the very last article visible.
It should jerk up when we d the SECOND to last article. That way we
can tell if we are on the last article of a thread or not yet. How to
make it jerk up earlier for all such commands?

Wait, let's explore gnus-auto-center-summary.

Documentation:
*If non-nil, always center the current summary buffer.
In particular, if `vertical' do only vertical recentering.  If non-nil
and non-`vertical', do both horizontal and vertical recentering.

But in Info we see
`gnus-auto-center-summary'
     If non-`nil', Gnus will keep the point in the summary buffer
     centered at all times.  This makes things quite tidy, but if you
     have a slow network connection, or simply do not like this
     un-Emacsism, you can set this variable to `nil' to get the normal
     Emacs scrolling action.  This will also inhibit horizontal
     re-centering of the summary buffer, which might make it more
     inconvenient to read extremely long threads.

     This variable can also be a number.  In that case, center the
     window at the given number of lines from the top.

Assuming the former is correct, I tried both
(setq gnus-auto-center-summary 'vertical)
(setq gnus-auto-center-summary "vertical")
but don't see any magic effect.
(setq gnus-auto-center-summary t) indeed does horizontal recentering
only apparently. Oy vey whatever.