From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: nnimap doc patch
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:10:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Jouni K Seppanen <jks@iki.fi> writes:

> It seems that my doc patch from November
> <29hdb27qbn.fsf@itl-pc9.hut.fi> hasn't been applied. Was there some
> problem with it, or was it just forgotten?

The latter, sorry!  Could you send an updated patch with the (minor)
fixes below?  We should add it.

> -@cindex expiry-wait
> +@vindex expiry-wait

This is probably wrong, see the other e-mails.

> +However, if @code{nnimap-search-uids-not-since-is-evil}
> +is true, the command is @code{"UID NOT SINCE @var{date}"},
> +regardless of this variable.

This seems backwards, if that variable is non-nil, the command is UID
SINCE @var{date}.  See the doc string:

nnimap-search-uids-not-since-is-evil is a variable defined in `nnimap.el'.
Its value is nil

Documentation:
If non-nil, avoid "UID SEARCH UID ... NOT SINCE" queries when expiring.
Instead, use "UID SEARCH SINCE" to prune the list of expirable
articles within Gnus.  This seems to be faster on Courier in some cases.

This is a Gnus server variable.  See Info node `(gnus)Select Methods'.

> +@item nnimap-nov-is-evil
> +@vindex nnimap-nov-is-evil
> +@cindex Courier @acronym{IMAP} server
> +@cindex @acronym{NOV}
> +
> +Never generate or use a local @acronym{NOV} database. Defaults to the
> +value of @code{gnus-agent}.
>
> +Using a @acronym{NOV} database usually makes header fetching much
> +faster, but it uses the @code{UID SEARCH UID} command, which is very
> +slow on some servers (notably some versions of Courier). Since the Gnus
> +Agent caches the information in the @acronym{NOV} database without using
> +the slow command, this variable defaults to true if the Agent is in use,
> +and false otherwise.

Seems good!

> +@item nnimap-search-uids-not-since-is-evil
> +@vindex nnimap-search-uids-not-since-is-evil
> +@cindex Courier @acronym{IMAP} server
> +@cindex expiring @acronym{IMAP} mail
> +
> +Avoid the @code{UID SEARCH UID @var{message numbers} NOT SINCE
> +@var{date}} command, which is slow on some @acronym{IMAP} servers
> +(notably, some versions of Courier). Instead, use @code{UID SEARCH SINCE
> +@var{date}} and prune the list of expirable articles within Gnus.
> +
> +When Gnus expires your mail (@pxref{Expiring Mail}), it starts with a
> +list of expirable articles and asks the IMAP server questions like ``Of
> +these articles, which ones are older than a week?'' While this seems
> +like a perfectly reasonable question, some IMAP servers take a long time
> +to answer it, since they seemingly go looking into every old article to
> +see if it is one of the expirable ones. Curiously, the question ``Of
> +@emph{all} articles, which ones are newer than a week?'' seems to be
> +much faster to answer, so setting this variable causes Gnus to ask this
> +question and figure out the answer to the real question itself.
> +
> +This problem can really sneak up on you: when you first configure Gnus,
> +everything works fine, but once you accumulate a couple thousand
> +messages, you start cursing Gnus for being so slow. On the other hand,
> +if you get a lot of email within a week, setting this variable will
> +cause a lot of network traffic between Gnus and the IMAP server.

Nice!