From: Elias Oltmanns <oltmanns@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: No Gnus v0.4 / emacs-cvs terribly slowly operating on large nnfolders
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:23:34 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi there,

accessing a 25MB nnfolder takes at least twice as much time and
sometimes even up to four times as much when running No Gnus from
within emacs-snapshot (Debian packaged cvs version) than running in
emacs 21.4. The reason I'm reporting this here is that visiting the
file with C-x C-f directly from emacs does not reveal such a
difference in speed. Yet, every operation performed by gnus on this
nnfolder, as entering, reading articles, expiring, etc, challenges my
patience, to say the least. This is even true when
large-file-warning-threshold is set to nil, however, it most
definitely seems to be size related as smaller folders don't take that
much when being processed. As I'm new to emacs 22 and still rather
unfamiliar with all those nice new features, all this makes me wonder
whether I've just missed another new option which has to be adapted
for better gnus performance.

For the record, here is the string output by M-x emacs-version:
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
of 2006-01-16 on vernadsky, modified by Debian

Thanks for your attention and advice.

Regards,

Elias