From: Sebastian Luque <sluque@mun.ca>
Subject: Re: bogofilter setup examples
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:24:54 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi again,

Thanks Jonas and Ted for your advise, I did make some progress by putting
the following in my ~/.gnus.el:

(require 'spam)

(setq spam-split-group "Spam"
      spam-use-bogofilter t
      nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy
      nnmail-split-fancy
      '(| (: spam-split)
	  ("from" "someregexp" "somegroup")
	  (any ".*video4linux.*\\|.*Sympa\\|.*helixcommunity.*\\|.*aircanada.com.*\\|.*ostg.*" "Various")
	  ("to" ".*ecolog-l.*" "Ecolog-L")
	  ("to" ".*marmam.*" "Marmam")
	  ("to" ".*mammal-l.*" "Mammal-L")
	  ("from" ".*nature\\.com\\|.*source\\.cisti@.*\\|.*blackwell\\.synergy.*\\|.*CSIRO.*\\|.*@elsevier.*\\|.*oupjournals.*\\|.*cambridge\\.org\||.*cobjnls.*\\|.*springerlink.de" "Literature")
	  "mail.misc"))

(spam-initialize)

For some unknown (to me) reason, using Ted's suggestion:

(require 'spam)
(spam-initialize 'spam-use-bogofilter)

returned a "wrong number of arguments..." error for spam-initialize as
gnus was starting up. Anyway, the setup above seems to be working somewhat
fine for me. I don't understand, however, where (: spamp-split) needs to
go in the nnmail-split-fancy list. I guess putting it at the beginning as
I did splits the spam into my Spam group before doing the rest of my
splitting rules, but perhaps it's better to put it right before
"mail.misc". Another thing I had to do, although I would have preferred to
put my own expressions in my ~/.gnus.el, was to 'G c' on the "mail.misc"
group and set:

- Group contents spam/ham classification:
  gnus-group-spam-classification-ham

- Spam summary exit processor:
  Spam: Bogofilter
  Ham: Bogofilter

- Destination for spam-processed articles at summary exit:
  nnmaildir:Spam

- Spam-mark choices:
  gnus-spam-mark

My intention was to declare "mail.misc" as containing ham, but that whenever
I mark a message as spam ('S x'), it will be put in "Spam" and recorded by
bogofilter for the future.

Now, on the "Spam" group I did 'G c' and:

- Group contents spam/ham classification:
  gnus-group-spam-classification-spam

- Spam summary exit processor:
  Ham: Bogofilter

- Destination for spam-processed articles at summary exit:
  nnmaildir:mail.misc

- Spam-mark choices:
  gnus-spam-mark

and my intention here was to be able to mark as ham any ham that may have
been missclassified, send it to "mail.misc", and record it by bogofilter
for the future.

It seems to work fine, but some messages (particularly from ecolog-l) are
sent to "Spam". Marking them as ham does send them back "mail.misc"
(where I later redirect them by hand to "Ecolog-L"), but they don't seem
to be recorded by bogofilter, as (some) future messages from this address
still get put in "Spam".

How does this look? Thanks a lot so far,

--
Sebastian P. Luque