* nndiary and stuff
@ 2001-08-15  3:26 Peter Solodov
From: Peter Solodov @ 2001-08-15  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi people.

Is there any way to force gnus to show select method in group buffer?
I only use gnus for mail (nnml). I also use nndiary, if that matters.

I've tried to play with group line format (%s and %n). %s gives no
result. %n only shows method for diary groups. %g and %G both give the
same result for nnml groups.

Thanks,
Peter.

* Re: nndiary and stuff
@ 2001-08-15  5:12 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-08-15  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter Solodov <solodov@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to force gnus to show select method in group buffer?

You could add your gnus-select-method to your
gnus-secondary-select-methods, and change gnus-select-method to
something you don't actually use.  (I wrote a small dummy backend for
this purpose: <URL:http://multivac.cwru.edu/gnus/#nnnil>.)  Then since
all your groups will be on non-primary servers, they'll all get
prefixed names.

Beware: your .newsrc.eld uses group names on the primary server (i.e.,
gnus-select-method) without the prefix, just like you see in the group
buffer.  If you change your primary server, you'll have to edit
.newsrc.eld by hand to fix the group names, or else lose all your
article marks and group parameters for those groups.  I think.

I think this ought to be changed in Gnus.  The code that reads
.newsrc.eld ought to be able to handle primary server group names
either with or without the prefix.  (Maybe this is already the case?)
Then the code that writes .newsrc.eld should be changed to use
prefixes for all group names.  Any problems with this?

paul