* inline JPG attachments not showing up in Emacs 21.104 and latest CVS Gnus
@ 2001-07-25 13:58 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2001-07-25 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I sent myself a message with about 20 images; 2 were jpegs and the
rest were gifs (my morning comics feed :)

The inline jpegs don't show up in the message (only a small square box
shows up), while the gifs work just fine.  This is with the Emacs
21.104 pretest and latest Gnus from CVS.  I thought I'd check here
before reporting it as a bug.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: inline JPG attachments not showing up in Emacs 21.104 and latest CVS Gnus
@ 2001-07-25 16:51 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-25 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:

> I sent myself a message with about 20 images; 2 were jpegs and the
> rest were gifs (my morning comics feed :)
>
> The inline jpegs don't show up in the message (only a small square box
> shows up), while the gifs work just fine.  This is with the Emacs
> 21.104 pretest and latest Gnus from CVS.  I thought I'd check here
> before reporting it as a bug.

Are jpegs too large? Check mm-inline-large-images.

ShengHuo

* Re: inline JPG attachments not showing up in Emacs 21.104 and latest CVS Gnus
@ 2001-07-25 17:01 ` Colin Walters
From: Colin Walters @ 2001-07-25 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:

> I sent myself a message with about 20 images; 2 were jpegs and the
> rest were gifs (my morning comics feed :)
>
> The inline jpegs don't show up in the message (only a small square
> box shows up), while the gifs work just fine.  This is with the
> Emacs 21.104 pretest and latest Gnus from CVS.  I thought I'd check
> here before reporting it as a bug.

Just to double-check, did jpegs work before?  If this is the first
time you've tried them, did you compile Emacs with jpeg support?

Otherwise, could you put the message up somewhere on the web, or
failing that, mail it to me?

* Re: inline JPG attachments not showing up in Emacs 21.104 and latest CVS Gnus
@ 2001-07-25 19:15   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2001-07-25 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:
>
>> I sent myself a message with about 20 images; 2 were jpegs and the
>> rest were gifs (my morning comics feed :)
>>
>> The inline jpegs don't show up in the message (only a small square box
>> shows up), while the gifs work just fine.  This is with the Emacs
>> 21.104 pretest and latest Gnus from CVS.  I thought I'd check here
>> before reporting it as a bug.
>
> Are jpegs too large? Check mm-inline-large-images.

I set the variable to t (it was nil), and it made no difference.

Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> Just to double-check, did jpegs work before?  If this is the first
> time you've tried them, did you compile Emacs with jpeg support?

I can view the JPG image if I browse from dired.  Emacs was compiled
with jpeg support.

> Otherwise, could you put the message up somewhere on the web, or
> failing that, mail it to me?

I'll send it to ShengHuo and Colin.

@ 2001-07-25 19:51     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2001-07-25 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Colin Walters, ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>> Are jpegs too large? Check mm-inline-large-images.

> I set the variable to t (it was nil), and it made no difference.

> Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>> Just to double-check, did jpegs work before?  If this is the first
>> time you've tried them, did you compile Emacs with jpeg support?

> I can view the JPG image if I browse from dired.  Emacs was compiled
> with jpeg support.

When I looked at the message I realized the attachments were markes as
image/gif regardless of file type.  I notified the creator of those
attachments, and things should be back to normal.

Should Gnus perhaps be smarter about this, rather than believing the
attachment type?  image.jpg with a type of image/gif should probably
be examined to see if it's a gif or jpeg.  Regardless, thanks to
ShengHuo and Colin.

I had a question about the dired image mode - just do
(auto-image-file-mode 1) in your .emacs.  Then images will show up in
dired.

@ 2001-07-25 22:06       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-25 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ShengHuo ZHU, Colin Walters, ding

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Should Gnus perhaps be smarter about this, rather than believing the
> attachment type?  image.jpg with a type of image/gif should probably
> be examined to see if it's a gif or jpeg.  Regardless, thanks to
> ShengHuo and Colin.

Type `t' on the MIME button, or hit the right mouse button and choose
`View as type'.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: inline JPG attachments not showing up in Emacs 21.104 and latest CVS Gnus
@ 2001-07-26  5:36     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-26  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:
>>
>>> I sent myself a message with about 20 images; 2 were jpegs and the
>>> rest were gifs (my morning comics feed :)
>>>
>>> The inline jpegs don't show up in the message (only a small square box
>>> shows up), while the gifs work just fine.  This is with the Emacs
>>> 21.104 pretest and latest Gnus from CVS.  I thought I'd check here
>>> before reporting it as a bug.
>>
>> Are jpegs too large? Check mm-inline-large-images.
>
> I set the variable to t (it was nil), and it made no difference.

oGnus (in GNU Emacs 21) is smarter now.

ShengHuo