* security: Encrypted mail in the archive
@ 2001-04-29 14:48 Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2001-04-29 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I just saw something that shocked me. I had sent an encrypted mail to a
friend of mine and tried to read it in the archive. Guess what?

The mail that is stored in my archive group is not encrypted in any
way. I think it would be a little better, security-wise, to encrypt it
with _my_ pubkey (so that only the receipient and the sender can read
it) before storing it in a Gcc: location, would it not?

regards,
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, <d96001@htlwrn.ac.at>, antifuchs

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 231 bytes --]

* Re: security: Encrypted mail in the archive
@ 2001-04-29 17:30 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-04-29 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:

> I just saw something that shocked me. I had sent an encrypted mail to a
> friend of mine and tried to read it in the archive. Guess what?
>
> The mail that is stored in my archive group is not encrypted in any
> way.

If this is not acceptable in your environment, you need a
cryptographic filesystem anyway, so I don't consider this a problem.

* Re: security: Encrypted mail in the archive
@ 2001-05-01  7:37   ` Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 2001-05-01  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 Apr 2001 19:30:12 +0200 Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> writes:
> Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:
>
> > I just saw something that shocked me. I had sent an encrypted mail to a
> > friend of mine and tried to read it in the archive. Guess what?
> >
> > The mail that is stored in my archive group is not encrypted in any
> > way.
>
> If this is not acceptable in your environment, you need a
> cryptographic filesystem anyway, so I don't consider this a problem.

I consider this to be a _big_ problem, because it is definitely not what I
would expect. If I send encrypted mail, the local copy should be encrypted
too. If I only send encrypted mail to a few people, a cryptograpic filesystem
is overkill. Moreover, people may store/archive their mail on some fileserver
they have no control over.

Jaap-Henk

P.S.: Andreas, what method do you use to encrypt your mail? I don't seem to
recall seeing this behaviour using pgp and mailcrypt.

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman             | Come sail your ships around me
Dept. of Computer Science     | And burn your bridges down

* Re: security: Encrypted mail in the archive
@ 2001-05-01 11:08 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-05-01 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:

> I just saw something that shocked me. I had sent an encrypted mail to a
> friend of mine and tried to read it in the archive. Guess what?
>
> The mail that is stored in my archive group is not encrypted in any
> way. I think it would be a little better, security-wise, to encrypt it
> with _my_ pubkey (so that only the receipient and the sender can read
> it) before storing it in a Gcc: location, would it not?

Yes.  I think OGnus is supposed to simply make a copy of the mail
today, and if you want to be able to decrypt it yourself, you'll need

(setq mc-encrypt-for-me t)

or something.  But I don't understand why it's stored unencrypted for
you.  Are you sure encryption works at all (use preview)?  How do the
mail in your sent group look like? MML tags?

* Re: security: Encrypted mail in the archive
@ 2001-05-01 11:17     ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2001-05-01 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> wrote:
> P.S.: Andreas, what method do you use to encrypt your mail? I don't
> seem to recall seeing this behaviour using pgp and mailcrypt.

I'm using gpg with gpg.el, but I have just tracked down the place where
it goes wrong: my customisation. I have it archive mails and news before
processing mime stuff (for attachments), which also catches pgpmime
processing. This is done via:

(defadvice gnus-inews-do-gcc
  (around gnus-news-do-gcc-inhibit-body-encoding  first activate)
  (let ((message-inhibit-body-encoding t))
    ad-do-it))

Alright, I commented it out. Let's see now what gnus does.

[silence, as I restart Xemacs and send a test mail]

Yes, now it appears in the archive, encrypted as it is supposed to be
(with the receipient's public key).

Alright, the first point (unencrypted messages in the archive) was a
local configuration error, but I'd really like messages I send encrypted
to be encrypted such that I can read it (as in, with my public key) in
the archive. It looks a little tricky, can it be done?

regards,
--

@ 2001-05-01 11:33       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-05-01 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:

> Alright, the first point (unencrypted messages in the archive) was a
> local configuration error, but I'd really like messages I send encrypted
> to be encrypted such that I can read it (as in, with my public key) in
> the archive. It looks a little tricky, can it be done?

Perhaps customize `gpg-command-{sign-,}encrypt' to include
"--encrypt-to asf@acm.org"?

* Re: security: Encrypted mail in the archive
@ 2001-05-01 12:16     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-05-01 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:

> > If this is not acceptable in your environment, you need a
> > cryptographic filesystem anyway, so I don't consider this a problem.
>
> I consider this to be a _big_ problem, because it is definitely not what I
> would expect. If I send encrypted mail, the local copy should be encrypted
> too.

Even if the archived copy is encrypted, the article may have been
written to disk in plaintext, for example as a draft or as an
auto-save copy.  Or the user might have included some attachment which
has to be on disk in plaintext the time the message sent.

IMHO, encrypting the archived copy just gives a false sense of
security.

* Re: security: Encrypted mail in the archive
@ 2001-05-01 12:59       ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-05-01 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> IMHO, encrypting the archived copy just gives a false sense of
> security.

Not at all.  I don't do draft-saving, especially when writing messages
sufficiently sensitive that I intend to encrypt them, and whether or
not they include attachments is not germane to the question.

I too want archived copies to be encrypted, to defend myself against
crackers or spooks if they should happen on my filesystem.  I do not
want a cryptographic filesystem because that would be like swatting a
fly with a Buick -- I need a little bit of very good encryption, not a
lot of wasted encryption.  My IP links to the universe are also
encrypted (http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/cipe.html) and
these are the uses where encryption serves me well.

--karl

* Re: security: Encrypted mail in the archive
@ 2001-05-01 14:27       ` Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2001-05-01 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 Iyar 5761, Andreas Fuchs wrote:

> Alright, the first point (unencrypted messages in the archive) was a
> local configuration error, but I'd really like messages I send
> encrypted to be encrypted such that I can read it (as in, with my
> public key) in the archive. It looks a little tricky, can it be done?

I have put the following in my ~/.gnupg/options:

encrypt-to csebold@ezl.com

...which encrypts everything to me as well as to the recipient.
--
Charles Sebold
Random Answer to a Gnus Very Frequently Asked Question:

2.  Don't write anything down. Ever. We can play back the error
    messages from here.

* Re: security: Encrypted mail in the archive
@ 2001-05-01 16:51         ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2001-05-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)