* nnml trouble -- track of all read messages is lost
@ 1999-11-18 16:34 Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-11-18 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

All of a sudden, I cannot retrieve any of my previously read articles
from any mail group. The articles are still there, i.e. they are not
expired. I see in .newsrc.eld for my Private mail:
,-----
| ("nnml:mail.Private" 1 ((1 . 1649)) nil (nnml "") ((expiry-wait
| . never)))
`-----
and in my ~/Mail/active:
,-----
| mail.Private 1649 1649 y
`-----
Overview file in ~/Mail/mail/Private points to just one article:
,-----
| 1649 Thursday's Calendar a.genkin@utoronto.ca (Reminder Service) Thu,
| 18 Nov 1999 09:46:04 -0500 <E11oSp2-00004b-00@main.wgaf.net> 98 4
`-----

I tried "nnml-generate-nov-databases" (sp?), and
"nnml-generate-nov-databases-1", and it only screwed the things up
some more. For example, in mail.Private group I had two or three
unread messages that could be accessed after the "crash", vanished
after the update of nov databases.

Please help! I had some unanswered email there, and all the ticked
messages are gone now too.

I didn't do any radical stuff, like upgrade any xemacs software. I did
mess around with faces a lot just prior to this happening. After the
"crash" I upgraded to .98 (from .97), hoping that it would do me good,
but it didn't help.

Is it time to restore my Mail directory from a backup? Last time I ran
backup 3 days ago, so how would I go about the articles that were
received since then? I have a bunch of ~/Mail/incoming* files. Can I
make use of them?

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who

* Re: nnml trouble -- track of all read messages is lost
@ 1999-11-18 16:41 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-18 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> Is it time to restore my Mail directory from a backup? Last time I ran
> backup 3 days ago, so how would I go about the articles that were
> received since then? I have a bunch of ~/Mail/incoming* files. Can I
> make use of them?

You can use `G f' to create a group for an incoming file, then you can
process-mark all messages, then you can resplit them.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: nnml trouble -- track of all read messages is lost
@ 1999-11-18 16:58   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-11-18 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> > Is it time to restore my Mail directory from a backup? Last time I ran
> > backup 3 days ago, so how would I go about the articles that were
> > received since then? I have a bunch of ~/Mail/Incoming* files. Can I
> > make use of them?
>
> You can use `G f' to create a group for an incoming file, then you can
> process-mark all messages, then you can resplit them.

Thanks! That's cool. However, is there a way to batch-process them? I
have 300+ Incoming* files. I would like to respool *all* of them.
--

@ 1999-11-21  2:33     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-11-21  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> Thanks! That's cool. However, is there a way to batch-process them? I
> have 300+ Incoming* files. I would like to respool *all* of them.

You could cat all the Incoming files into one big file then G f that
and resplit

cd Mail; cat Incoming* >>BigIncoming

Then do G f on BigIncoming

* Re: nnml trouble -- track of all read messages is lost
@ 1999-11-22  2:12       ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 1999-11-22  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Harry> Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:
    >> Thanks! That's cool. However, is there a way to batch-process them? I
    >> have 300+ Incoming* files. I would like to respool *all* of them.

    Harry> You could cat all the Incoming files into one big file then G f that
    Harry> and resplit

    Harry> cd Mail; cat Incoming* >>BigIncoming

    Harry> Then do G f on BigIncoming

The only problem with this is that the files would not be sorted by date.  I
would be a little more careful and do something like (untested)

        ls -t Incoming* | xargs cat >> BigIncoming

Ted
--
 Tera Computer Company                                   http://www.tera.com
 411 First Avenue South, Suite 600        Direct 206/701-2182, Main 701-2000

* Re: nnml trouble -- track of all read messages is lost
@ 1999-11-22  2:16         ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 1999-11-22  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Harry> Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:
    >>> Thanks! That's cool. However, is there a way to batch-process them? I
    >>> have 300+ Incoming* files. I would like to respool *all* of them.

    Harry> You could cat all the Incoming files into one big file then G f that
    Harry> and resplit

    Harry> cd Mail; cat Incoming* >>BigIncoming

    Harry> Then do G f on BigIncoming

    Ted> The only problem with this is that the files would not be sorted by
    Ted> date.  I would be a little more careful and do something like
    Ted> (untested)

    Ted>         ls -t Incoming* | xargs cat >> BigIncoming

Oops, change that to 'ls -rt' instead to get more recent files last.

Ted
--

@ 1999-11-22  4:08           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-11-22  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     Harry> Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:
>     >>> Thanks! That's cool. However, is there a way to batch-process them? I
>     >>> have 300+ Incoming* files. I would like to respool *all* of them.
>
>     Harry> You could cat all the Incoming files into one big file then G f that
>     Harry> and resplit
>
>     Harry> cd Mail; cat Incoming* >>BigIncoming
>
>     Harry> Then do G f on BigIncoming
>
>     Ted> The only problem with this is that the files would not be sorted by
>     Ted> date.  I would be a little more careful and do something like
>     Ted> (untested)
>
>     Ted>         ls -t Incoming* | xargs cat >> BigIncoming
>
> Oops, change that to 'ls -rt' instead to get more recent files last.

Or simply
'cat `ls -tr Incoming*` >>BigIncoming'

Might be better to do the sorting in the nndoc group though, since
that would also take care of any messages out of chron order in the
Incomming files.

`C-c C-s C-d'  before respooling (`B r')