* public-inbox archival of ding
@ 2021-01-11 21:51 dick
From: dick @ 2021-01-11 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Someone on /r/emacs made reference to https://inbox.vuxu.org/ding, which, I
was pleasantly surprised to see, archives correspondence on this newsgroup in
the same way lists.gnu.org does for emacs-devel.  Actually, inbox.vuxu.org
does it *much* better than lists.gnu.org as the threading actually makes
navigable sense.  Googling around for the software doing this yeoman's work
led me to a 2018 write-up of "public-inbox":

> Public-inbox, created and almost exclusively developed by Eric Wong, does
> not appear to have the creation of a Gmane-style mailing-list archive as its
> primary use case. Instead, it is a tool allowing people to follow (and
> participate in) mailing lists without the hassle of actually subscribing to
> them.

> The initial commit to the public-inbox repository was made in January 2014,
> just over four years ago. Since then, some 1,300 commits have built it up to
> 11,000 lines of code or so.

Thank you Eric Wong and Leah Neukirchen (owner of the vuxu.org domain), I guess?

* Re: public-inbox archival of ding
@ 2021-01-12  0:35 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-01-12  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dick; +Cc: ding

dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com> writes:

> Someone on /r/emacs made reference to https://inbox.vuxu.org/ding, which, I
> was pleasantly surprised to see, archives correspondence on this newsgroup in
> the same way lists.gnu.org does for emacs-devel.  Actually, inbox.vuxu.org
> does it *much* better than lists.gnu.org as the threading actually makes
> navigable sense.  Googling around for the software doing this yeoman's work
> led me to a 2018 write-up of "public-inbox":

Not only that -- you can also search it!

* Re: public-inbox archival of ding
@ 2021-01-12  0:42   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2021-01-12  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>> Someone on /r/emacs made reference to
>> https://inbox.vuxu.org/ding, which, I was pleasantly
>> surprised to see, archives correspondence on this newsgroup
>> in the same way lists.gnu.org does for emacs-devel.
>> Actually, inbox.vuxu.org does it *much* better than
>> lists.gnu.org as the threading actually makes navigable
>> sense. Googling around for the software doing this yeoman's
>> work led me to a 2018 write-up of "public-inbox":
>
> Not only that -- you can also search it!

I think, at least

  gmane.emacs.gnus.user

is here:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/

Dunno why gmane.emacs.gnus.general isn't there, or if it is,
only I can't see it. Somewhere here, I mean

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/

The Gnus related groups from news.gmane.io seems to be:

  gmane.emacs.gnus.announce
  gmane.emacs.gnus.buildbot
  gmane.emacs.gnus.commits
  gmane.emacs.gnus.cvs
  gmane.emacs.gnus.general
  gmane.emacs.gnus.patches
  gmane.emacs.gnus.semi
  gmane.emacs.gnus.semi.japanese
  gmane.emacs.gnus.tutorial
  gmane.emacs.gnus.user

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: public-inbox archival of ding
@ 2021-01-12  0:59     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-01-12  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>>> Someone on /r/emacs made reference to
>>> https://inbox.vuxu.org/ding, which, I was pleasantly
>>> surprised to see, archives correspondence on this newsgroup
>>> in the same way lists.gnu.org does for emacs-devel.
>>> Actually, inbox.vuxu.org does it *much* better than
>>> lists.gnu.org as the threading actually makes navigable
>>> sense. Googling around for the software doing this yeoman's
>>> work led me to a 2018 write-up of "public-inbox":
>>
>> Not only that -- you can also search it!
>
> I think, at least
>
>   gmane.emacs.gnus.user
>
> is here:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/
>
> Dunno why gmane.emacs.gnus.general isn't there, or if it is,
> only I can't see it. Somewhere here, I mean
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/

TBH I have no idea what the relationship between news.gmane.io and
lists.gnu.org is.

I just meant that if you use public-inbox, you can search from within
Gnus. It's very fast, too.