* (not downloaded, A C to fetch.) on empty part
@ 2020-07-29 13:31 Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2020-07-29 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I just recieved a multipart MIME email with an empty text/html part.
Gnus shows it as:

  [1. text/html (not downloaded, A C to fetch.)]

A C makes no sense here, as I am using nnml as the backend.

Some logic awry for non-imap backends?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Have a plum!"                                             Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: (not downloaded, A C to fetch.) on empty part
@ 2020-07-29 15:53 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-07-29 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding, Tassilo Horn

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> I just recieved a multipart MIME email with an empty text/html part.
> Gnus shows it as:
>
>   [1. text/html (not downloaded, A C to fetch.)]
>
> A C makes no sense here, as I am using nnml as the backend.
>
> Some logic awry for non-imap backends?

This was an addition by Tassilo in 659ed857c, whom I'm copying here --
it does sound like there's some cross-backend bleed-over?

* Re: (not downloaded, A C to fetch.) on empty part
@ 2020-07-29 16:12   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2020-07-29 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

> > I just recieved a multipart MIME email with an empty text/html part.
> > Gnus shows it as:
> >
> >   [1. text/html (not downloaded, A C to fetch.)]
> >
> > A C makes no sense here, as I am using nnml as the backend.
> >
> > Some logic awry for non-imap backends?
>
> This was an addition by Tassilo in 659ed857c, whom I'm copying here --
> it does sound like there's some cross-backend bleed-over?

I added that to any mail containing an empty part because a partial fetch seemed to be the only reason for encountering such a part except for a broken mail and then this text is as good as any other.

I can check if I can omit the button text if we're on a non-imap backend or partial fetches are not configured. But that has to wait a bit. I'm away from the computer till Wednesday next week.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: (not downloaded, A C to fetch.) on empty part
@ 2020-07-29 16:16     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-07-29 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Adam Sjøgren, ding

"Tassilo Horn" <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

>> > I just recieved a multipart MIME email with an empty text/html part.
>> > Gnus shows it as:
>> >
>> >   [1. text/html (not downloaded, A C to fetch.)]
>> >
>> > A C makes no sense here, as I am using nnml as the backend.
>> >
>> > Some logic awry for non-imap backends?
>>
>> This was an addition by Tassilo in 659ed857c, whom I'm copying here --
>> it does sound like there's some cross-backend bleed-over?
>
> I added that to any mail containing an empty part because a partial
> fetch seemed to be the only reason for encountering such a part except
> for a broken mail and then this text is as good as any other.
>
> I can check if I can omit the button text if we're on a non-imap
> backend or partial fetches are not configured. But that has to wait a
> bit. I'm away from the computer till Wednesday next week.

nnimap is the only backend that supports partial fetching of articles,
right? I wonder how hard it would be to detect an empty part and say
that, instead. I try to stay away from the mime code.

Anyhow, no big emergency.

* Re: (not downloaded, A C to fetch.) on empty part
@ 2020-07-29 16:28       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2020-07-29 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Adam Sjøgren, ding

> nnimap is the only backend that supports partial fetching of articles,
> right?

I think so, yes.

> I wonder how hard it would be to detect an empty part and say
> that, instead.

Easy. That's actually the only information I have where the text "not downloaded, A C to fetch" is added to the button. I could have also said "empty part, go figure". So my text is actually an interpretation of why the part is empty and as such can be wrong.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: (not downloaded, A C to fetch.) on empty part
@ 2020-07-29 16:30       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2020-07-29 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: tsdh

Eric writes:

>> I added that to any mail containing an empty part because a partial
>> fetch seemed to be the only reason for encountering such a part except
>> for a broken mail and then this text is as good as any other.

I'm not sure I agree with that. However:

> Anyhow, no big emergency.

with this I do; it's a tiny detail - I was just surprised by the text :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "But I'm a dot-commer."                                    Adam Sjøgren
 "No, Neil, you're a dot-goner."                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: (not downloaded, A C to fetch.) on empty part
@ 2020-07-29 16:46         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-07-29 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Adam Sjøgren, ding

"Tassilo Horn" <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

>> nnimap is the only backend that supports partial fetching of articles,
>> right?
>
> I think so, yes.
>
>> I wonder how hard it would be to detect an empty part and say
>> that, instead.
>
> Easy. That's actually the only information I have where the text "not
> downloaded, A C to fetch" is added to the button. I could have also
> said "empty part, go figure". So my text is actually an interpretation
> of why the part is empty and as such can be wrong.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Eric writes:

>>> I added that to any mail containing an empty part because a partial
>>> fetch seemed to be the only reason for encountering such a part except
>>> for a broken mail and then this text is as good as any other.
>
> I'm not sure I agree with that. However:
>
>> Anyhow, no big emergency.
>
> with this I do; it's a tiny detail - I was just surprised by the text :-)

Yes, though I guess I still think it's worth fixing. I suppose if we
have access to gnus-newsgroup-name here we can check if it's nnimap and
change the text accordingly (maybe double-check
nnimap-fetch-partial-articles as well). Let's see who gets to it first!

* Re: (not downloaded, A C to fetch.) on empty part
@ 2020-08-06 19:54           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2020-08-06 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Adam Sjøgren, ding

Hi Eric and Adam,

>>> Anyhow, no big emergency.
>>
>> with this I do; it's a tiny detail - I was just surprised by the text
>> :-)
>
> Yes, though I guess I still think it's worth fixing. I suppose if we
> have access to gnus-newsgroup-name here we can check if it's nnimap
> and change the text accordingly (maybe double-check
> nnimap-fetch-partial-articles as well). Let's see who gets to it
> first!

Me!!  I've just done exactly what you've suggested.  :-)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: (not downloaded, A C to fetch.) on empty part
@ 2020-08-06 20:01             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-08-06 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Adam Sjøgren, ding

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Eric and Adam,

>>> with this I do; it's a tiny detail - I was just surprised by the text
>>> :-)
>>
>> Yes, though I guess I still think it's worth fixing. I suppose if we
>> have access to gnus-newsgroup-name here we can check if it's nnimap
>> and change the text accordingly (maybe double-check
>> nnimap-fetch-partial-articles as well). Let's see who gets to it
>> first!
>
> Me!!  I've just done exactly what you've suggested.  :-)

Thanks :)

* Re: (not downloaded, A C to fetch.) on empty part
@ 2020-08-06 20:08             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2020-08-06 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo writes:

> Me!!  I've just done exactly what you've suggested.  :-)

Tested on the [weird] email that I saw the "problem" on - works a charm
now; thanks!

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Lef ma nine imma Jeep"                                    Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk