* How to make articles unread during fetching
@ 2016-01-30 19:21 Jan Stranik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jan Stranik @ 2016-01-30 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I'm using gnus to fetch email from my ISP using IMAP. I would like to
mark all mail that are fetched from IMAP as unread. What is the right
hook to mark processed mails as un-read?

The reason for me wanting to have all fetched mails be unread is that I
occasionally use my phone to see mails in inbox. Once these mails are
marked as read, they disappear from default view in gnus.

--
Jan Stranik

* Re: How to make articles unread during fetching
@ 2016-01-31 19:59 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2016-01-31 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Stranik; +Cc: ding

Jan Stranik <jan.ng@stranik.org> writes:

> I'm using gnus to fetch email from my ISP using IMAP. I would like to
> mark all mail that are fetched from IMAP as unread. What is the right
> hook to mark processed mails as un-read?

If you use the imap mail-source then you can use :fetchflag to control
what flag is set on fetch (you also need to set :predicate to an
appropriate predicate to match new mail).

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: How to make articles unread during fetching
@ 2016-01-31 22:45 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2016-01-31 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Are you fetching the mail (downloading copies similar to POP)?  Or are you using the nnimap back end?  The behavior you describe sounds like the latter.  In that case I have a similar situation and set

(display . [and unseen unread])

as a group parameter for my primary inbox group.  The unseen appears to be Gnus specific so while the message read on the phone would be marked as read, it will show up in the summary.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

@ 2016-02-01  3:04 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-02-01  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Jan Stranik <jan.ng@stranik.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using gnus to fetch email from my ISP using IMAP. I would like to
> mark all mail that are fetched from IMAP as unread. What is the right
> hook to mark processed mails as un-read?
>
> The reason for me wanting to have all fetched mails be unread is that I
> occasionally use my phone to see mails in inbox. Once these mails are
> marked as read, they disappear from default view in gnus.

I solved this the other way, by telling my phone email client (K-9)
never to mark mails as read, unless I do it manually.