* Kill all messages in buffer
@ 2014-09-24 14:24 Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-09-24 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

one of the reason for me to use gnus is the hability to use the function

,----[ C-h f gnus-summary-kill-same-subject RET ]
| gnus-summary-kill-same-subject is an interactive compiled Lisp
| function in `gnus-sum.el'.
|
| (gnus-summary-kill-same-subject &optional UNMARK)
|
| Mark articles which has the same subject as read.
| If UNMARK is positive, remove any kind of mark.
| If UNMARK is negative, tick articles.

`----

I'm using it when I read mailing lists to get rid of threads I don't
want to get messages anymore.

But, how could I achieve to apply this function to all threads which are
visible in the summary buffer?

Many thanks in advance!

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: Kill all messages in buffer
@ 2014-09-26 11:32 ` Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2014-09-26 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Igor Sosa Mayor wrote:

> I'm using it when I read mailing lists to get rid of threads I don't
> want to get messages anymore.
>
> But, how could I achieve to apply this function to all threads which are
> visible in the summary buffer?

Are you looking for gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit?  This is bound to "c"
by default.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Kill all messages in buffer
@ 2014-09-26 15:25   ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-09-26 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> Are you looking for gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit?  This is bound to "c"
> by default.

thanks for your answer. Yes, I know the function
gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit. But, if I am not wrong, the idea of
'killing' is that the threads are not shown any more, whereas with 'c'
the topic can appear again in the summary buffer.

I just want to say gnus the following: "I am not interesting in all
these threads anymore. don't show them anymore in the future".

--

@ 2014-09-26 22:46     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-09-26 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 17:25:08 +0200 Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> wrote:

ISM> Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:
>> Are you looking for gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit?  This is bound to "c"
>> by default.

ISM> thanks for your answer. Yes, I know the function
ISM> gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit. But, if I am not wrong, the idea of
ISM> 'killing' is that the threads are not shown any more, whereas with 'c'
ISM> the topic can appear again in the summary buffer.

ISM> I just want to say gnus the following: "I am not interesting in all
ISM> these threads anymore. don't show them anymore in the future".

Oh, that's totally different.  You want to lower these threads' scores
en masse.

Ted

* Re: Kill all messages in buffer
@ 2014-09-27  6:43       ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-09-27  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Oh, that's totally different.  You want to lower these threads' scores
> en masse.

exactly! Maybe I should think of programming some small function... Or
is there already a solution for this?

--

@ 2014-09-27 13:30         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-09-27 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 08:43:51 +0200 Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> wrote:

ISM> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> Oh, that's totally different.  You want to lower these threads' scores
>> en masse.

ISM> exactly! Maybe I should think of programming some small function... Or
ISM> is there already a solution for this?

I don't think this has been requested before.

Start with (info "(gnus) Scoring")

First of all, note that Gnus does have kill files but they are slow and
probably not what you're looking for.

You can use scoring to lower any thread's score.

Look at `gnus-summary-increase-score` for the UI around it, which
constructs a call to `gnus-summary-score-entry`.  It only does a single
score right now, so you'd either have to write some ELisp or construct a
keyboard macro (far easier but less maintainable).  I'd recommend the
macro to see if you want to use this at all.  The effort of using the
macro is *probably* the same as the effort of marking each thread and
calling a function.

My concern there is that the message IDs for killed threads will pile up
and the scoring code is not optimized for lookups. You may end up with a
really long time waiting for the summary buffer. To combat that, you can
use individual score files per group and decaying scores.

HTH
Ted

* Re: Kill all messages in buffer
@ 2014-09-27 14:05           ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-09-27 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I don't think this has been requested before.
>
> Start with (info "(gnus) Scoring")
>
> First of all, note that Gnus does have kill files but they are slow and
> probably not what you're looking for.
>
> You can use scoring to lower any thread's score.
>
> Look at `gnus-summary-increase-score` for the UI around it, which

[...]

thanks for your answer. I will give it a look. I thought there is maybe
already a function for this.

--

@ 2014-09-29  9:24     ` Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2014-09-29  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Igor Sosa Mayor wrote:

> Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:
>
>> Are you looking for gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit?  This is bound to
>> "c" by default.
>
> thanks for your answer. Yes, I know the function
> gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit. But, if I am not wrong, the idea of
> 'killing' is that the threads are not shown any more, whereas with 'c'
> the topic can appear again in the summary buffer.

I see.  But ‘C-k’ (gnus-summary-kill-same-subject) that you mentioned in
your original message AFAIK doesn't do more than ‘c’ either.  New
messages in these threads will keep appearing.

> I just want to say gnus the following: "I am not interesting in all
> these threads anymore. don't show them anymore in the future".

I find such functionality very useful as well.  It would entail some
risk of missing interesting stuff, but this should be more then
outweighed by missing less interesting stuff in new topics.

Please keep us updated if you manage to get this to work in some way!

Christoph

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Kill all messages in buffer
@ 2014-09-30 10:32       ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-09-30 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> I find such functionality very useful as well.  It would entail some
> risk of missing interesting stuff, but this should be more then
> outweighed by missing less interesting stuff in new topics.
>
> Please keep us updated if you manage to get this to work in some way!

yes, I will do it. Thanks for your answer.