* Reduce size of newsrc.eld for nnimap
@ 2014-09-13 15:15 Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2014-09-13 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

I would like to reduce the size of my newsrc.eld file and most of this
file is populated by entries corresponding to the "All Mail" and "Sent
Mail" gmail groups. I could just kill these two groups, but IMO it would
be better if I could tell gnus not to store local info about them,
because all I care about these groups is whether the contained emails
have been read, and that's already stored at the imap server. Is that
possible? Why is it that gnus stores long sequences of message ids
locally? What additional information is gnus keeping there? Is that
information critical for the proper working of gnus? I wasn't able to
find group parameters related to the above.

Best regards
--
Carlos

* Re: Reduce size of newsrc.eld for nnimap
@ 2014-09-14  6:15 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-09-14  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Why is it that gnus stores long sequences of message ids locally?

IMAP performance, I think.

> What additional information is gnus keeping there?

All group have group parameters, but I don't know if it will be used for
anything in this folder.

> Is that information critical for the proper working of gnus?

I don't know.

* Re: Reduce size of newsrc.eld for nnimap
@ 2014-09-15 13:06   ` Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2014-09-15 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Why is it that gnus stores long sequences of message ids locally?
>
> IMAP performance, I think.

Granted, gnus does a lot more than keeping track of read/unread state of
each message. But that's all I need for these big groups, and that's
already stored at the server side. So I thought there could be some way
to tell gnus not to try to be too smart here, without hurting
performance. Killing the groups does something like that, but then gnus
also loses track of unread counts.

Cheers
--
Carlos