From: Abramov Aleksey <levenson@mmer.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Coaching to ssh port forward an NNTP connection
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:23:56 +0400	[thread overview]

Harry Putnam <reader@jtan.com> writes:

> I'm completely lost trying to understand how port forwarding with ssh
> might do what I'd like to do.
>
> Currently my normal ISP (direcpath) has been banned at
> new.gmane.org... I'm not sure what is going on but at least one other
> person has posted on gmane.emacs.gnus.user that they were having a
> similar problem.
>
> Until the problem gets cleared up, I'd Like to try to use ssh to trick
> news.gmane.org into thinking the connection is from s remote machine I
> have access to that is not in direcpath domain.  The idea being that I
> could sit at my desktop.  Fire up emacs/gnus but the nntp conversation
> is running in a ssh tunnel to the remote machine and from there to
> news.gmane.org
>
> I do not have root at the remote machine but I recall long long ago
> doing something similar with that same remote and home desktop but at
> that time it didn't involve nntp.
>
> Trouble is I cannot remember the first thing about how it was done or
> find any notes I may have kept... this has been 10 or more yrs ago.
>
> Can anyone give an outline of how something like that might be done?

To create an ssh tunnel is pretty easy.

# ssh -ANf -L5119:news.gmane.org:119 router.example.com

# telnet localhost 5119
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.1 ready (posting ok)
Connection closed by foreign host.

There could be only one problem, TCP forwarding shouldn't be disabled in
sshd which you are connecting to.

In my case the interesting thing is that, there is a http proxy before
router. =)

--
Sincerely,
Abramov Aleksey.