* Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08  1:37 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-08  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[Running nogus from 3 days ago, on debian linux]

The emacs wiki at http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail

Has a bit about how to access gmail accounts by imap.

It shows 3 basic parts to setting up Imap with gmail.

1) enable imap at gmail account (done)

2) set up .authinfo:
  machine imap.gmail.com login MYGMAILUSER@gmail.com password XXXX port 993
  (of course I've used my real email address and passwords)

3) Chose one of the methods for gnus
   I choose `secondary select' so put this in gnus:

        (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
                             (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                             (nnimap-server-port 993)
                             (nnimap-stream ssl)))

Those 3 things are setup as shown.  Is this still up to date and is
this really all it takes?

Should I see something happen with imap when I restart gnus?

I've completed the above items, restarted gnus but see none of my
gmail stuff.  Where can I look for clews.  I tried nntp-log, and gnus
trace buffers but see nothing to do with imap there.

If I open the Messages buffer so I can watch it, and then rescan one
of the imap groups it shows `Quit' right away/

What am I missing or not doing.

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08  1:59 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-10-08  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> [Running nogus from 3 days ago, on debian linux]
>
> The emacs wiki at http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail
>
> Has a bit about how to access gmail accounts by imap.
>
> It shows 3 basic parts to setting up Imap with gmail.
>
> 1) enable imap at gmail account (done)
>
> 2) set up .authinfo:
>   machine imap.gmail.com login MYGMAILUSER@gmail.com password XXXX port 993
>   (of course I've used my real email address and passwords)
>
> 3) Chose one of the methods for gnus
>    I choose `secondary select' so put this in gnus:
>
>         (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
>                              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                              (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                              (nnimap-stream ssl)))
>
> Those 3 things are setup as shown.  Is this still up to date and is
> this really all it takes?
>
> Should I see something happen with imap when I restart gnus?
>
> I've completed the above items, restarted gnus but see none of my
> gmail stuff.  Where can I look for clews.  I tried nntp-log, and gnus
> trace buffers but see nothing to do with imap there.
>
> If I open the Messages buffer so I can watch it, and then rescan one
> of the imap groups it shows `Quit' right away/
>
> What am I missing or not doing.

Assuming the select is corect, did you subscribe to your imap groups?

hit ^ at the group buffer and you'll see what to do there in conjunction
with the manual.

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08  2:28   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-08  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

>> If I open the Messages buffer so I can watch it, and then rescan one
>> of the imap groups it shows `Quit' right away/
>>
>> What am I missing or not doing.
>
> Assuming the select is corect, did you subscribe to your imap groups?

Not sure what you mean there... none of that looked to need editing
right?  I mean the user is not expected to change parts of that or
something?

>         (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
>                              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                              (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                              (nnimap-stream ssl)))

Just a copy and paste job isn't it?

> hit ^ at the group buffer and you'll see what to do there in conjunction
> with the manual.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that part.  Wonder why it isn't in the wiki with
the other steps?

But anyway. going to the servers buffer there is nothing concerning
imap there.

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nntp:enews.newsguy.com} (opened)
     {nndraft:} (opened)
     {nnml:} (opened)
     {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened)

That is after a fresh restart with the code from the wiki in place.

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08  2:37     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-10-08  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> If I open the Messages buffer so I can watch it, and then rescan one
>>> of the imap groups it shows `Quit' right away/
>>>
>>> What am I missing or not doing.
>>
>> Assuming the select is corect, did you subscribe to your imap groups?
>
> Not sure what you mean there... none of that looked to need editing
> right?  I mean the user is not expected to change parts of that or
> something?

mine is simply

   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                '(nnimap "riley"
                         (nnir-search-engine imap)
                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                         ))

and the corresponding .authinfo.gpg is:-

machine riley login rileyrg password ***********

more I cant say : other than the wiki has always been either wrong,
confusing, out of date or somewhere in between but not knowing quite
whats next in gnus world its hard to know what and when to update there ;)

>>         (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
>>                              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>>                              (nnimap-server-port 993)
>>                              (nnimap-stream ssl)))
>>

> Just a copy and paste job isn't it?
>
>> hit ^ at the group buffer and you'll see what to do there in conjunction
>> with the manual.
>
> Ah yes, I'd forgotten that part.  Wonder why it isn't in the wiki with
> the other steps?

Because its in the manual.

> But anyway. going to the servers buffer there is nothing concerning
> imap there.
>
>      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>      {nntp:enews.newsguy.com} (opened)
>      {nndraft:} (opened)
>      {nnml:} (opened)
>      {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened)
>
> That is after a fresh restart with the code from the wiki in place.

Best of luck.

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08  3:29       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-08  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

[...]

> mine is simply
>
>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>                 '(nnimap "riley"
>                          (nnir-search-engine imap)
>                          (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                          ))

at  nnimap "riley" is that supposed to be the actual name of a gmail
account inbox?  Or just a name being used in gnus?

> and the corresponding .authinfo.gpg is:-
> machine riley login rileyrg password ***********

The machine you connect to at gmail is named `riley'

Seeing that written out made me recall something a while back about
that on this list.  Does .authinfo have to be authinfo.gpg?
Or is that optional?

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08  3:56     ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2011-10-08  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Oct 08 2011,Harry Putnam wrote:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

[snipped 24 lines]

> But anyway. going to the servers buffer there is nothing concerning
> imap there.
>
>      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>      {nntp:enews.newsguy.com} (opened)
>      {nndraft:} (opened)
>      {nnml:} (opened)
>      {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened)
>
> That is after a fresh restart with the code from the wiki in place.

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nndraft:} (opened)
     {nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
     {nnimap:gmail} (opened) <---You should have this
     {nnml:cache} (opened)

Right, do you see something like this in your Messages buffer?

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Reading /home/sivaram/.newsrc.eld...
Generating the cache active file...done
Opening nnfolder server on archive...done
Opening nnimap server on gmail...
Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...
Opening TLS connection to `imap.gmail.com'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 993 imap.gmail.com'...don\
Opening TLS connection to `imap.gmail.com'...done
Warning: defvar ignored because auth-source-creation-prompts is let-bound
Opening nnimap server on gmail...done
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...
Reading active file from cache via nnml...done
nnimap read 0k
Reading active file via nndraft...done

If you don't, then I believe you might have not even connected to it?
Also set the following till the issue is resolved so that you get to
see all all messages

(setq gnus-verbose 9)
(setq gnus-verbose-backends 9)

 sivaram

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08  8:55         ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-10-08  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> mine is simply
>>
>>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>                 '(nnimap "riley"
>>                          (nnir-search-engine imap)
>>                          (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>>                          ))
>
> at  nnimap "riley" is that supposed to be the actual name of a gmail
> account inbox?  Or just a name being used in gnus?

Its explained the manual. See the authinfo line below? Note the "riley" bit?

>> and the corresponding .authinfo.gpg is:-
>> machine riley login rileyrg password ***********
>
> The machine you connect to at gmail is named `riley'
>
> Seeing that written out made me recall something a while back about
> that on this list.  Does .authinfo have to be authinfo.gpg?
> Or is that optional?

Its as you wish but another subject. Stay "plain text" for now.

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08 13:04       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-08 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

>      {nnimap:gmail} (opened) <---You should have this
>      {nnml:cache} (opened)
>

> Right, do you see something like this in your Messages buffer?

No nothing in server buffer about imap, nothing in the *Messages*
buffer.

In the meantime I installed gnutls-bin (on debian) thinking that might
be the missing ingredient.  But it seems to have made no difference
whatever.

Are there other pkgs that are necessary to be installed?  I'm not
seeing any indication at all that I have anything different in .gnus.

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08 13:11 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-10-08 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:37:07 -0500, Harry wrote:

>    I choose `secondary select' so put this in gnus:

>         (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
>                              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                              (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                              (nnimap-stream ssl)))

Might you have something later in your .gnus that overwrites this
addition? What does C-h v gnus-secondary-select-methods say?

It is rather odd that you don't get anything in the Server buffer, I
think.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Gav                                                         Adam Sjøgren
  Strik"                                                 asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08 13:15           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-08 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

>> at  nnimap "riley" is that supposed to be the actual name of a gmail
>> account inbox?  Or just a name being used in gnus?

Ok I follow that well enough . . .  thanks

> Its explained the manual. See the authinfo line below? Note the "riley" bit?
>>
>>> and the corresponding .authinfo.gpg is:-
>>> machine riley login rileyrg password ***********

I do not find anything in the manual that looks anything like this.
Under `Connecting to an imap server:'

I see:

 machine imap.gmail.com login <username> password <password> port imap
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Note it is a host name.  Not a user name.

So I repeat is your imap server host name `riley', or is it aliased in
some way?

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08 13:21         ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2011-10-08 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Oct 08 2011,Harry Putnam wrote:

> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>      {nnimap:gmail} (opened) <---You should have this
>>      {nnml:cache} (opened)
>>

>> Right, do you see something like this in your Messages buffer?
>
> No nothing in server buffer about imap, nothing in the *Messages*
> buffer.
>
> In the meantime I installed gnutls-bin (on debian) thinking that might
> be the missing ingredient.  But it seems to have made no difference
> whatever.
>
> Are there other pkgs that are necessary to be installed?  I'm not
> seeing any indication at all that I have anything different in .gnus.

err...shouldn't there be an ssl connection to the gmail server?  Where
and how is that supposed to happen in your case?

 sivaram

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08 13:27             ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-10-08 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> at  nnimap "riley" is that supposed to be the actual name of a gmail
>>> account inbox?  Or just a name being used in gnus?
>
> Ok I follow that well enough . . .  thanks
>
>> Its explained the manual. See the authinfo line below? Note the "riley" bit?

> I do not find anything in the manual that looks anything like this.
> Under `Connecting to an imap server:'

I'm sure its there somewhere, but I'll explain below:

> I see:
>
>  machine imap.gmail.com login <username> password <password> port imap
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, which is why I offered my alternative : maybe it'll work? I dont
know.

> Note it is a host name.  Not a user name.

No, its not a user name : the user name is the bit after "login" in the
authinfo file.

> So I repeat is your imap server host name `riley', or is it aliased in
> some way?

I pasted in my select method and you have removed it in your reply. Here
it is again:

,----
| >>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
| >>                 '(nnimap "riley"
| >>                          (nnir-search-engine imap)
| >>                          (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| >>                          ))
`----

this *nnimap-address* is the same for multiple connections but the logical
identifier, in this case "riley", can vary enabling multiple connections
to the same physical imap server with different user
credentials. Obviously the token "riley" is whats used to index into the
authinfo file that that select method's user credentials.

And the corresponding authinfo line is:-

,----
| >> and the corresponding .authinfo.gpg is:-
| >> machine riley login rileyrg password ***********
`----

Hope that is clearer. It might work for you. But I suspect something
else is the issue if you're not getting any open errors etc.

regards

r.

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08 13:31           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-08 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

>> Are there other pkgs that are necessary to be installed?  I'm not
>> seeing any indication at all that I have anything different in .gnus.
>
> err...shouldn't there be an ssl connection to the gmail server?  Where
> and how is that supposed to happen in your case?
>  --

I have these ssl related pkgs installed:
i   libgnutls-openssl27    - GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
i A libio-socket-ssl-perl  - Perl module implementing object oriented i
i A libnet-ssleay-perl     - Perl module for Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
i   libssl0.9.8            - SSL shared libraries
i   libssl1.0.0            - SSL shared libraries
i A openssl                - Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and relat
i A python-openssl         - Python wrapper around the OpenSSL library
i A ssl-cert

I took the example from the gnus manual which shows ssl:

  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "xxxxxxx"
                 (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
                 (nnimap-stream ssl)))

Is there something else needed?

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08 13:51               ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-08 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> this *nnimap-address* is the same for multiple connections but the logical
> identifier, in this case "riley", can vary enabling multiple connections
> to the same physical imap server with different user
> credentials. Obviously the token "riley" is whats used to index into the
> authinfo file that that select method's user credentials.
>
> And the corresponding authinfo line is:-
>
> ,----
> `----

I see now, a bit over my feeble head.  Thanks for being patient to
explain it.

The problem is solved now.  I'll tell how in a answer to

Sivaram and Adam.

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08 13:56           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-08 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> Are there other pkgs that are necessary to be installed?  I'm not
>> seeing any indication at all that I have anything different in .gnus.
>
> err...shouldn't there be an ssl connection to the gmail server?  Where
> and how is that supposed to happen in your case?
>

>  sivaram
>  --

[...]

> Might you have something later in your .gnus that overwrites this
> addition? What does C-h v gnus-secondary-select-methods say?
>
> It is rather odd that you don't get anything in the Server buffer, I
> think.

Indeed it is, and yes there was.  I had this

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")))

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
 *BELOWS* this:

  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "hputnam3"
                        (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                        (nnimap-server-port 993)
                        (nnimap-stream ssl)))

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

So of course the list got smushed by a full scale declaration of what
the secondary-select-method was instead of being added to.

Nice catch... thank you both very much

It's working nice and smooth now.

I still have another problem that has been bugging me for days.  I'm
trying to catch a backtrace with (setq debug-on-quit t)

When I get a nice one I'll start a new thread.

* Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
@ 2011-10-08 14:46   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-08 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:37:07 -0500, Harry wrote:
>
>>    I choose `secondary select' so put this in gnus:
>
>>         (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
>>                              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>>                              (nnimap-server-port 993)
>>                              (nnimap-stream ssl)))
>
> Might you have something later in your .gnus that overwrites this
> addition? What does C-h v gnus-secondary-select-methods say?
>
> It is rather odd that you don't get anything in the Server buffer, I
> think.

Yes, and getting odder by the minute: