From: Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: `gnus-refer-article-methods' and `gnus-summary-refer-thread'
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:25:44 -0400	[thread overview]

[...]

    Dave> Oh, but it's an easy single search: the root of the thread is
    Dave> the first message-ID in the `References' header.  Then you
    Dave> look for anything whose `Message-ID' matches the root id or
    Dave> whose `References' contains the root id.  [You could easily
    Dave> make it a bit more thorough in case of broken threads by
    Dave> making use of more of the contents of `References', but I've
    Dave> found this to work perfectly well in practice].

That's almost exactly what the current search does. (It tries to cope a
bit with broken mailers by being a bit more expansive and for, err,
everything that references anything, so to speak).

    >> So looping through a set of methods doesn't make much sense to
    >> me. Instead, we just try a single method, which is the search I
    >> described. Aside from broken mailers, this will find the whole
    >> thread within the given group. I'm still not entirely clear, but
    >> I think your only unhappiness is the restriction to searching
    >> within the group rather than across all groups on the server. Is
    >> this right?

    Dave> Well, as mentioned earlier, I'm only interested in looking in
    Dave> *one* other group on the server.  But I'd also like to find
    Dave> messages in the registry and agent if possible (hey, why not
    Dave> ask for the moon, I figure?).

I wouldn't think the registry or the agent have any info that isn't also
obtained from the search? And since we never know if we have found
everything we have to do the search in any case...

[...]

    Dave> I think you have this right.  Although, let me add, if there's
    Dave> no way to limit which groups on a server are searched it's
    Dave> going to be way too slow for me (because I have too many
    Dave> groups).

This will respect the `nnir-ignored-newsgroups' variable. Is that
adequate? If not we can always add (yet) another variable.

    Dave> And thanks for all you're doing!

No worries!