Lars and anyone else knowledgeable about nntp.el, in nntp.el there are two ways to get the authinfo sent: 1) `nntp-handle-authinfo' -> `nntp-authinfo-function' (used in `nntp-wait-for' and `nntp-async-trigger', uses `nntp-send-authinfo' by default as the `nntp-authinfo-function') 2) `nntp-send-authinfo' used directly (used in `nntp-open-connection') I think the unused choices for `nntp-authinfo-function' (`nntp-send-nosy-authinfo', `nntp-send-authinfo-from-file') should be removed (with whatever extra functionality they have moved to `nntp-send-authinfo') and we should remove `nntp-authinfo-function' itself. We should also remove any dependency on netrc.el. In addition the `auth-source-search' call should query for the virtual server name too, use ":create t", pass `auth-source-creation-defaults' and `auth-source-creation-prompts', and call the :save-function if the login was successful. This is all very similar to the way nnimap.el does the query. I'm attaching a patch to just add the "force" token to nntp.el and will do more of the above if necessary. Let me know. Thanks Ted